chinese Stainless Liebig?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

chinese Stainless Liebig?

Postby Puk » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:39 pm

Hi all,
I am wanting to start off on a very cheap keg still build to move on from my airstill, and was looking at doing something modular. I Picked up 2x sanke kegs for $50, so I'm ahead so far. :)

I want to go with a pot still to make rum and whisky, rather than a reflux for neutral.
That cheap chinese express website has some cheap stainless components and i was looking at going 2" throughout and running a 2" shotgun condenser, or reducing down to a 1.5" condenser instead, but then i saw these stainless Liebig condensers for about $35 posted (for 53cm overall length), and was wondering if they would work alright?

I was thinking about a bit of a short 2" column, 2x 90 degree 2" elbows then a reducer to 1.5" (which i would put some copper mesh inside to get some copper into the vapour path) then some way to reduce down to the liebig condenser, and that (as well as the necessary clamps) would be most of my investment.

I know it sounds bloody cheap but hey, I'm bloody cheap.
I also don't want to invest too much until i know I need it.

I don't drink a lot of spirits but enjoy the tinkering and the process and the challenge.
But i don't enjoy it enough to spend 32 hours per wash on the airstill.

anyway, any opinions on these cheap stainless liebig condensers?

Puk
Last edited by Puk on Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Puk

equipment: 50l keg boiler (2x 2400w 5 star elements , 4" fill port, 3/4" removeable drain and ball valve)
Alcoengine pot still

Re: chinese Stainless Liebig?

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:02 pm

First Puk can you soft solder mate and if not go look at the tutorials and learn mate, start working with copper and make your first frustum a 2-4" one then go with a 4" column rather than 2" as you will find the runs go that much quicker.

Now go have a look on how a shot gun condenser is made and have a go at making one out of copper, now by making a copper still means no mesh is needed so the vapour has a clear path and plenty of copper to get rid of the sulfides. it will patina after a while and that is the charm of a copper still. Once the foreshots and heads go thru the still is nice and clean for the hearts.

Like I said in your welcome post a 50 litre keg is a good option for a boiler and one can buy weldless fitting for a drain and tip out of the box buy putting a Tee piece off the 2-4" reducer can be used as a fill port then blanked off for the run.
If your making your pot still like I've said do go 4" and you won't regret it.

If you need some guidance just make a build thread and fire away with the questions mate but first we do need to know just how handy you are as there is a cheap option where it's all done for you.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Puk » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:57 pm

thanks Bryan,
Never soldered in my life but my younger brother is a Manual Arts teacher and pretty handy. :)
He reckons he can do the soldering for me. I just have to source the copper which might be the next challenge.

Puk

P.S. I also have a mate who is a boilermaker who has said he will do the tig welding i need on my keg for nothing. :dance:
Puk

equipment: 50l keg boiler (2x 2400w 5 star elements , 4" fill port, 3/4" removeable drain and ball valve)
Alcoengine pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Dec 30, 2023 8:56 pm

Well Done mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Officially now going down that rabbit hole and honestly mate just ask me a question and i'll answer it as that is what makes this forum so great, new members asking questions and yes we are here to help :handgestures-thumbupleft: as that is what we just do as we all have gone that rabbit hole :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:30 pm

Why muck around ?
Come for a drive to Capalaba and check out the 5 Star gear that’s right here (almost) on your doorstep , good quality , proven products with backup service
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby B-Man » Sat Dec 30, 2023 11:45 pm

The Stig wrote:Why muck around ?
Come for a drive to Capalaba and check out the 5 Star gear that’s right here (almost) on your doorstep , good quality , proven products with backup service

I'd agree with this unless you are pretty handy, have plenty of time and love being pedantic.
I built my own still but after factoring the time and effort and stuffing around into it I could have just bought something decent for similar money and alot less time and stuffing around.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby howard » Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:56 pm

Puk wrote:Hi all,
anyway, any opinions on these cheap stainless liebig condensers?
Puk

just make sure the condenser has enough tubes/baffles to make it efficient.
ie a good 2" SS condensers will have 7 or 8 tubes, i've seen some cheap ones that only have 3 or 4 tubes.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Return to Beginners Questions