want to upgrade - recommendations Please

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

want to upgrade - recommendations Please

Postby globalmark » Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:17 pm

Hi guys

i have a small electric still spirits distiller takes 4 litres at a time - i double distill double filter in stainless filter and makes a great drop
however annoys me i have to keep refilling the 4litre distiller .

so been looking online at picking up a 2nd hand maybe T500 still (turbo 500 by still spirits) as there is a lot around and seen them go for $250-300 most are 450-500 but happy to wait ..
i dont make alot of booze and drink occasionally so not looking for a profession or big set up just something i dont have to keep feeding (like my 4litre still)

question -
1. is the T500 a good still is that a good small one to upgrade to ?
2. any recommendations what to look out for buying 2nd had one - copper , stainless or other info
3. should i consider another used still ?? what type
4. on the Sunshine coast so dont want to travel to far but if have used for sale let me know ..

any other info would be great Thanks all
Mark
PS Happy New Year - welcome to 2024 all
globalmark

equipment: airstil , fuselex filter, mangrove jack ss fermenter

Re: want to upgrade - recommendations Please

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:51 pm

5 Star Boka, I’ve sent you a message
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Carol » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:18 pm

Hi Mark
I have a FSD 2"boka and pot. See my thread in reflux stills (FSD 2" boka).
Cost effective, makes an excellent product and takes up very little room.

Happy to answer any questions you might have.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby Carol » Wed Jan 03, 2024 2:19 pm

link to my thread

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12638
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby Wellsy » Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:48 pm

I can’t recommend the five star equipment highly enough mate. I started with absolutely no idea and no experience and went with the 4 inch pot, I am sure the 2 inch will suit you perfectly. Have a chat to Andrew at 5 star you will be surprised at the complete lack of pressure. It is simply because the product sells itself, perhaps a little dearer than options but quality wise it is streets ahead. Information is free mate :)
Good luck whatever you decide
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby globalmark » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:10 pm

Hi Carol

Thanks - i started looking at that thread but lost after 1st page as didnt show me a set up or prices - i am looking at getting a 2nd hand still as save money and so many around in great condition anyway - is there a price list to this 2" boka thing - are you selling a used set up ?
not sure i am following the gist in relation to my original question . maybe you can clarify thanks so much

Wellsy - thanks for your comments
i have no idea what 5 star is - is this a make or company ? is it the same as a T500 ??
whats a 2" or 4" pot refer to ?? sorry i have no idea as mentioned in original post thinking about upgrading as seen lots 2nd hand systems out there mainly home made or T500 (turbo 500) i will have a look for a Boka system but the T500 are around $300 ready to go with regulator - so not sure what this boka is or what would need ..
Thanks for the suggestion i will try and reserch a boka .
thanks Mark
globalmark

equipment: airstil , fuselex filter, mangrove jack ss fermenter

Postby Carol » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:35 pm

Hi Mark
I am not selling my set up - 2" boka and pot.
I sent you the link so you can see how it works. That thread provides a lot of information on running a small still.
You mentioned you were looking to upgrade from the air still and that you prefer " a good drop". It seems you want a quality product in less time than it takes with the 4 litre airstill. I had an air still before I got the boka and then added the pot after a short time. This set up has a 25 litre boiler. So if you look through the thread it will give you an idea about how to run this type of still.

Sometimes people sell their FSD boka and/or pot as they upgrade to a bigger system. It does not seem to be very common though.

I'll let the Stig (Andrew) explain about 5 star.
2" or 4" refers to the diameter of the column. Pot refers to a pot still, the boka is a reflux still.

Lots of users of the T500 on this forum . There is quite a bit of information on how to get the best out of it. I do not have one myself. It seems people "grow out of them" and that is why you will find them for sale on marketplace etc I guess.

Maybe read some of the info in the Newbies section.
Cheers
carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby The Stig » Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:29 pm

All I will say is , there are so many T500’s for sale for a reason.
They are a low budget item built to a price rather than a quality .
The Boka is a solid unit that will last you a life time with upgrade paths that the T500 can not offer.
5 Star Distilling is my business and all we sell is distilling equipment , the Boka being the entry level and we go all the way up to 1000L / 12 inch stills for the big guys.
Feel free to call me for a chat if you like ? The numbers on the 5 Star site
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:29 am

Hello again Mark
I did not realise that you were as completely green as I was when I started the journey. Apologies if I am telling you how to suck eggs but I just want to make sure you understand the requirements of any upgrade from the air still. Particularly in relation to cooling water mate.
The airstill uses forced air to condense the vapour into drinkable product, anything else needs water. So your set up will need to be near a water source and have an outlet for the warmed water to go. The longer the still runs the more water you will use.
Do your research as you keep saying they are in good condition but I am not sure you will know if all the bits and pieces are there.
As has been said the T500 is built for a price and is a great way to get into the hobby. If you want a unit that is built more solidly and will produce an excellent product consider the 5star options. The 5 star store button on the top left of the page will take you there to get an idea of prices.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby The Stig » Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:08 am

If your hell bent on a T500, take a bottle of water with you to check for leaks.
Turn the T500 upside down and fill with water, look for leaking around the head , if its leaking leave it alone.
Ill bet 80% leak due to people trying to run them as pot stills
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby indenial » Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:58 pm

Mark, what is it that you make currently, and also want to make in the future?
An airstill is a potstill (unless you have a new airstill pro which apparently also does reflux)
A T500 is a reflux still. I don't think you mention that you specifically want to go for a reflux still, so I thought I'd ask the question.
indenial

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 3" modular pot, 2" shotgun condensor

Postby B-Man » Thu Jan 04, 2024 7:48 pm

my first still was a t500. I done 1 run before I put it on the shelf and made my own. While I think they are usable and not running a pd column but think they are better than them too I think a boka would be the way to go. gives you the pot and reflux options. and upgrade and expand it rather than running it for a bit then have to outlay more if yo want something different. as you know you have already outgrown your airstill... you will outgrow the next one too..,,
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Return to Beginners Questions