worm

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

worm

Postby googe » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Hi all, does a worm have to be spirial shape or can it be like my pic?. Would this cause to much pressure?. Couldnt find a suitable pic and cant add paint files here :handgestures-thumbdown: . Like this pic but with curved corners not sharp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Re: worm

Postby Kimbo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Hi Googe,
it all depends on what size pipe, water temp etc.
but theres no reason why it shouldnt work. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby crow » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:20 pm

thing is if ya are going to go down that road of using a worm and flake what you gotta understand is it needs to be reasonably long to knock down vapor , unless you are circulating water through the flake/bucket ,barrel what ever (and if you are then why use one ) so if ya got it zigzaging how are ya going to achieve that , 10ft of storm water pipe or what :)) :)) Yes ya could do it but why would ya . Ppl have done this sort a shit but as far as i know it was because they only had bronze pipes they couldn't bend and AFAIK they still zigzaged in a spiral
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:43 pm

Thanks kimbo, 1/2" copper like normal worm, same temps as you woul get in a keg pot still. Croweater, it would be going through a rectangular water tank, tall and slim. And i want to do it to be different haha. It would be alot easier to bend this shape than a coil shape, i had troubles finding something to coil it around to make the worm. Plus i have an endless supply of angles i could use to make one if i didnt want to bend it ;). Whats AFAIK?. I ll see if i can make a small one today and show you a pic of what i mean about useing angles. Cheers for the info mate.
googe

Postby googe » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:03 pm

Was thinking something Like this too, no im not using tape on it haha.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Postby Kimbo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:05 pm

yeah, that could work.
are those fittings and pipe Staino?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby zwagerman9 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:22 pm

From a cost basis, wouldnt it be cheaper to using a winding coil of copper? I imagine, cutting pipes, and fittings, ensuring seals, soldering. ?
Never made a worm so my advice may not be valid! :D

Cheers

Rae
zwagerman9

equipment: Airstill....
2" POT STILL!
2" Dual Slant Plate Bok

Postby kiwikeg » Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:50 pm

I made a worm, viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1397 So that means pretty much anyone could make one very easy and cheap to make, I have seen old ink block drawings of worms like the one you drew but i think a coil looks cooler..
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby googe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:44 am

Fitting stainless and the pipe is scrap al from the shed for demo perposes kimbo, i can get all the fittings, pipe, silver solder, flux, tig and ss welding for nothing zwagerman so its only my time im waisting, i dont mind :). Nice worm of yours kiwikeg :), ive done my own for my still, this is just another thought. Cheers
googe

Postby zwagerman9 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:51 am

Not a worry! Enjoy. Will be interesting, we will need pics on completion.
zwagerman9

equipment: Airstill....
2" POT STILL!
2" Dual Slant Plate Bok

Return to Beginners Questions