RE-USING(CLEANING EZ FILTER CARTRIGE)

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby JOHNYWALKER » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:52 pm

GDay All

I have purchased on of those EZ Filtering Systems,(its the one with the 2 plastic buckets and a replaceable active carbon cartridge. Now i have heard that you can boil the cartridge filters and them bake them in an oven for a certain time and they will then be reactivated.

1st of all, how long should i boil the cartridge?
2nd, how long should i bake it at 300 deg for?
and last but not least does this work?

Graciously Awaiting Your Comments.

JW
JOHNYWALKER

equipment: 60l FERMENTATION CONTAINER
REFLUX STILL

Re: RE-USING(CLEANING EZ FILTER CARTRIGE)

Postby Sam. » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:38 pm

I personally would do none of the above, throw away all your carbon filters and strive to make a product that does not need filetering ;-)

But if you can already afford to carbon filter then just buy a new one, you wont be able to recover it properly anyway
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby billmcc » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:37 am

40 mins of each should do the trick and imho yes it does ,try it once and see what you think nothing to be lost
cheers
billmcc

equipment: still learning

Postby adictv » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:06 am

sam_and_liv wrote:I personally would do none of the above, throw away all your carbon filters and strive to make a product that does not need filetering ;-)

I agree I have been down this path not that long ago. Put down a TPW and you won't turn back
adictv

equipment: Turbo 500
McStill Pot Still on T500

Postby browny » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:07 am

To reactivate carbon it needs to be heated to around 800 degrees, so I doubt that baking in the oven will do the trick.
Worth a shot though, worst that happens is it doesn't work!

But as others have said, a non turbo wash and proper cuts will mean filtering is a thing of the past for you!
browny

equipment: Pure Distilling reflux still.. for now!

Postby JOHNYWALKER » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:10 pm

Hell Yess.........Boiled it, and then stuck it in the oven on max, all good until it started smoking, all the fire alarms went off the children ran out the house spluttering and weezing, mom went to pack her bags and the dog wanted a chunk out my ass.....Now when i went to retrieve the cylinder with my fave bbq tongs it f#*$#*g curumbled to dust. :)) :)) :))

So that answers my question...

JW
JOHNYWALKER

equipment: 60l FERMENTATION CONTAINER
REFLUX STILL

Postby Sam. » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:50 pm

Lol that's some funny shit mate!
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Geoff » Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:03 pm

From what I've researched, the temperature you need for the oven is only about 150 degrees. The boiling for about 20-30 minutes beforehand.
This is not to re-activate, which involves high temperatures in a carefully controlled reducing atmosphere. Not worth the trouble.

But the boil/oven dry will evaporate some of the volatiles from the micro and nano cracks in the carbon. I have not tried it with the EZ cartridge, but have found it works with bulk carbon method. I reckon it is only good for 1 or 2 of these processes at the most though.

Worth a try with the EZ carbon Tell us if you try again, a lot use this filter.

it is worth mentioning that the use of carbon in this way is not a traditional filter. A traditional filter allows particles of a smaller size through while trapping large ones simply due to size. The activated carbon attracts congeners and volatiles by a weak electrostatic force and holds them in the cracks. Some but not all may be released by the above method.
Geoff

Return to Beginners Questions