Just want to get my wash in the still.

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Just want to get my wash in the still.

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:04 am

mrSilkie wrote:it must be 1.050 then. haha, my mistake. :)

mrSilkie wrote: And I did follow the yeasts packet instructions I just thought it was a waste to add what I know is an excessive amont of yeast.

Seems to me you know jack shit, you really do need to follow advise given mate... people are trying to help you.

Why ask the question if you dont want the answer or wont follow the instructions. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby mrSilkie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:04 pm

I bought some bakers yeast from way back when and it's still in the fridge, would it make a difference if i use some of that in place of turbo yeast. I really don't want shitty flavors coming through but as said earlier, turbo yeast contains alot of yeast nutrient which is why the brew has bad flavors. The turbo yeast said to add the whole packet but i only added about half of it and then a fair amount of the bakers yeast i had.
mrSilkie

equipment: 2x30L fermentors
25L reflux still

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:17 pm

I have only used bakers yeast for rum and tpw, it comes out fine mate. Bad flavours in beer due to temp is understandable but not so much in a wash to be distilled. Ditch the turbos and use a tried n tru recipe, can't go wrong.

I have had slow ferments at 24ish and yes it does take ages, and now I have 200l finishing in 4 days :) cos its kept at 30C and there is no distinguishable flavour difference. I'm pretty harsh on cuts tho
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby mrSilkie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:28 pm

I started this sugar wash before i started reading up on everything, i thought it would be simple enough.

I'll be trying the tomato paste wash recipe next, it sounds rather interesting.

At the moment it's bubbling once every second or so, hopefully it keeps this up.
mrSilkie

25L reflux still

Postby crow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:29 pm

mrSilkie wrote:I bought some bakers yeast from way back when and it's still in the fridge, would it make a difference if i use some of that in place of turbo yeast. I really don't want shitty flavors coming through but as said earlier, turbo yeast contains alot of yeast nutrient which is why the brew has bad flavors. The turbo yeast said to add the whole packet but i only added about half of it and then a fair amount of the bakers yeast i had.

Let this wash run its course , its likely you won't 100% happy with it but it should be drinkable. Then do yourself a favour and check out the tried and proven recipes, pick one you're happy with and follow that one you wont go wrong. Most bakers yeast is in fact rum yeast, propagated on mollasses and well suited to any sugar product hence why bakers like it ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby mrSilkie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:37 pm

Yeah, i wasn't too keen on adding the rest of the turbo yeast in because everybody says it adds bad flavors to the wash. I'm happy with what i've done, added some extra yeast. What happens when it goes below 1.00 on the hydrometer? How do i let it clear up or do i put it right into the still?
mrSilkie

25L reflux still

Postby crow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:42 pm

nar bud just let it sit for a day or two once its stopped bubbling it will clear by itself then rack it off and run it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:44 pm

mrSilkie wrote:I bought some bakers yeast from way back when and it's still in the fridge, would it make a difference if i use some of that in place of turbo yeast. I really don't want shitty flavors coming through but as said earlier, turbo yeast contains alot of yeast nutrient which is why the brew has bad flavors. The turbo yeast said to add the whole packet but i only added about half of it and then a fair amount of the bakers yeast i had.

I only use supermarket bakers yeast, tomato paste and citric acid and Epsom salts for nutrients.

I highly doubt the only reason turbos have such off flavours is the nutrient. It's the yeast itself which is temperatrure and alcohol tolerant. Getting a distilling wash is heaps different than getting a beer.

Beer is ready to drink with no refining so you want the wash perfect. The tomato paste wash gets literally boiled. It has no flavours like the turbo. The turbo won't ever ever lose those turps/metho smells no matter how long you wait it will smell like nail polish remover :-)

I will never do another turbo because the distillate at the end is so so so different to a TPW. My TPW isn't something you'd drink without refining like a beer is, it has to be distilled so guess what it's more forgiving when it comes out the still.

Your learning process I guess but I would have followed the turbo instructions and when you do a TPW follow the instructions. It is a well developed tried and tested recipe so add the right ingredients, do as those smarter than I here ln the forum suggest you'll get a killer drop.

Best of luck to you!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby mrSilkie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:05 pm

croweater wrote:nar bud just let it sit for a day or two once its stopped bubbling it will clear by itself then rack it off and run it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

mmm... two days sounds rather dandy... that's because it's friday! :dance:
I've only got two fermentors and the other has 15L of apple cider which i don't have bottles for. :D
Can i just put it into the boiler instead of another fermentor?
mrSilkie

25L reflux still

Postby crow » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:09 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: yep
crow

Postby mrSilkie » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:18 pm

:) Very excited. Thanks for all the help.
mrSilkie

25L reflux still

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions