Am I understanding this right?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby Boomgate » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:53 pm

I cant help myself, I always need to understand how/why something works to do it...
In an attempt to understand better, I have created this diagram... Is this correct?

Attaching image, hopefully it appears.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Re: Am I understanding this right?

Postby crow » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:03 pm

few faults with it but yeah thats how it works. That pic is a refluxing column still take offs to high needs to be below the condenser. that condenser is most likely a helix (has other names umm... might be friedrichs) anyway not a worm, worm and flake is a totally different type of condenser.
This type of still is used for the production of neutral spirits like vodka, schnapps ect
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Re: Am I understanding this right?

Postby Boomgate » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:23 pm

But the general principle is right then, and different still types achieve similar (grossly speaking) result by approaching the problem in a slightly different way?
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby Sam. » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:31 pm

The temperature is more important at the top of the column where you are taking off the product, you want that to be around the 78 degrees for a reflux column.

The filter as you put it in the column is actually just packing used to create more reflux so your product will be a higher ABV and purer.

If you do a TPW recipe you shouldn't need any sort of carbon in the wash.

Like crow said you basically have it but remember there are a lot of different type of stills try using the search function for CM LM or VM for reflux stills . Then you also have pot stills and bubblers. Enjoy the learning mate it will all make sense sooner or later
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Beginners Questions