More dumb first build questions.

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

More dumb first build questions.

Postby Lowndsey » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:16 pm

Getting back into my 2inch boka build after being away on holidays for a while. Managed to procure a keg to use for the boiler thanks to the generosity of an awesome member of this site.
The plates are soldered in and the condenser is wound and I have made up an end cap to keep the condenser centered. Next step is to sort out the connection to the keg. This is where my confusion comes in. The flange size on the keg is 64mm outside diameter. Looking online for example... http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4316 has 50.5mm tri clamps...what measurement is the 50.5mm taken off? Is that the outside diameter of the flange it fits?
Looking at the Mid-Way metals catalogue and their 50.8mm clamps have an inside diameter of 57mm and outside diameter of 67mm.

Are these Chinese tri clamps on ebay of decent quality? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TRI-CLAMP-64 ... 3f1a60fdd3

Just not really sure exactly what sizes I am looking for.

And lastly is a ferrule just butt soldered to the column? and is silver solder strong enough to do that?
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Re: More dumb first build questions.

Postby kelbygreen » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:26 pm

if your column is 2" then get a 2" ferrule and triclover clamp with a silicone seal. It will mount straight onto the keg with the spear removed from what I been told.

they dont say the grade of them ferrules infact I cant see where it says Stainless Steel at all. You only need one ferrule and a triclam and a seal and they are all in the AC/DC cost $17.40 and then delivery, PM mcstill what you want and you know you getting quality gear thats not cheap Chinese crap and you wont have to wait 3 weeks to get it ether.

the ferrule you will need a 2" joiner if the column is 2" if its bigger or smaller you will need a reducer. IE if your column is 3" you will need a 3" to 2" reducer, If its 2" just a 2" cooper joiner and I soft soldered mine on seems to be sturdy and cant find a leak
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Kimbo » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:30 pm

Yep, what he said :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby kelbygreen » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:45 pm

oh and just to make it clear yes 2" is 50mm or 50.8mm. So you want the 50mm the outside of that will be about 64mm but the AC/DC go in inches so wont get confused.

Not like the dumb prick at eagles I want 3" is that 67mm?? No 80mm! Oh came back with a 3 1/2" joiner I was like that looks a bit big! nar its 80mm! then he looked again and said oh that was 95mm lol :shock:
kelbygreen

Postby Lowndsey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:35 pm

kelbygreen wrote:if your column is 2" then get a 2" ferrule and triclover clamp with a silicone seal. It will mount straight onto the keg with the spear removed from what I been told.

So I went and ordered this 50mm triclamp on Sunday night. http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4316
It turns up today and it is way too small. The 50mm is taken from the size flange it fits. Pretty annoyed and I am back to square one finding another one and waiting a few more days. Why can't shit just be easy?
Lowndsey

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:44 pm

this might help ya with the sizes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
http://www.gvc.net/docs/gvc_doc_00004.pdf
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby kelbygreen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:54 pm

if you ordered it from AC/DC in 2" you would of been fine and its almost half the price. PM macstill and he will sort you out on all the parts and the price cant be beaten, I got quotes from like 5 places and all where over twice as much as getting it from AC/DC.
kelbygreen

Postby Lowndsey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:03 pm

What's AC/DC?
I pmed McStill over the weekend and he never replied.
Not really fussed on price anymore TBH..I just want to get this damn still firing up. :D
Lowndsey

Postby kelbygreen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:05 pm

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/webstore/ ... ry&path=24

the payment function isnt working so you have to contact mcstill or the contact us down the bottom of that page.
kelbygreen

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:08 pm

Lowndsey wrote:
kelbygreen wrote:if your column is 2" then get a 2" ferrule and triclover clamp with a silicone seal. It will mount straight onto the keg with the spear removed from what I been told.

So I went and ordered this 50mm triclamp on Sunday night. http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/details.asp?PID=4316
It turns up today and it is way too small. The 50mm is taken from the size flange it fits. Pretty annoyed and I am back to square one finding another one and waiting a few more days. Why can't shit just be easy?

Hang on just had a thought what type of keg have you got?
keg.JPG
kiwikeg

Postby Lowndsey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:19 pm

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I dunno I got it off cupcake and the spear was already removed. It is a Carlton CUB keg. It has a 63-64mm outside flange and the pipe rising up from the top of the keg to the flange is 57-58mm.
Lowndsey

Postby kiwikeg » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:28 pm

Okay, thats a D-type and will take a 2'' Tri-Clamp, I just asked coz some of the other types wont fit a tri clamp :angry-banghead:
kiwikeg

Postby Lowndsey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:34 pm

Ok cheers for that. We got a Midway metals up the road so I will get onto them tomorrow see what they got. Thanks for the advice.
Lowndsey

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:28 pm

Hey Lowndsey,have you got gas,for soldering I mean :angry-banghead: if so checkout Mac's easy flange,I'm on iPhone so it's a bit hard to post a link,just use the search engine mate and you'll be fine :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: Or some other lovely member may post the link for ya :pray: :pray: :pray:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Lowndsey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:38 pm

Yeah mate I have seen that thread..pretty ingenious. I have got gas and the only thing stopping me from doing it that way is laziness. :laughing-rolling: The flange isn't really the problem it's the dumb wrong sized tri clamp that I ordered. Hopefully I can get a tri clamp locally. No real drama ..worst comes to worst I will just have to order one from the ac/dc if they have any in stock and wait until next week. I believe it comes shipped from WA? I just hate waiting..haha I am a prick to put up with when I get frustrated and impatient. Just ask the missus. :laughing-rolling:
Lowndsey

Postby Cane Toad » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:00 pm

Yeah me too :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: I've brought a bit through midway in the ville,that Eliza in the office looks the goods in a short skirt,the voice is a bit of a turnoff though :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

Postby Lowndsey » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:11 pm

I'll be sure to pass on your regards to her then :mrgreen:
Lowndsey

Postby Lowndsey » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:47 pm

Got my hands on my ferrule and tri clamp today from midway. :handgestures-thumbupleft: No sign of Eliza :crying-blue: ...got served by some arrogant cocky fucker with his hands free bluetooth glued to his ear....really wanted to headbutt him after he kept insisting that the triclamp will be useless if i buy only 1 ferrule. Just need to source a 2" joiner then I am good to go. Knocking off at midday on friday guess what I am doin friday arvo? :laughing-rolling:
Lowndsey

Postby Cane Toad » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:09 pm

Tradelink just up the road mate near TJM :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: No Cuties work there tho :crying-blue:
Cane Toad

Postby Lowndsey » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:15 pm

Cupcake wrote:Tradelink No Cuties work there tho :crying-blue:

Might try Reece then :laughing-rolling:
Lowndsey

Next

Return to Beginners Questions