WHAT IS TPW

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: WHAT IS TPW

Postby jasonc2861 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:25 pm

Linny wrote:
Linny wrote:Well i just put down my first TPW ... it will be interesting how it will go i put 25L 100g yeast , 1 teaspoon Epson, 1 teaspoon citric acid 280g leggos low salt paste ( 2 x tubs ) and i pitched it at 32*C ... i made it too hot and it took 2 hours to cool down even to that ! it seems to be starting a bit 1/2 hour later.... i dont have any of these foaming up situations , maybe i gotta give it more time

Its been about 6 days now and its starting to slow down , at this rate its probably going to be finished next weekend .... Is this suppost to be right ?? above is what i did . i know its not a turbo but since this is my 2nd ever wash i dont really have anything to compare it to.

Since its taking its time , im about to put on 2x15L washes so they can be staggered over each weekend. i was going to go 4kg sugarand 80-90 g yeast , 1x tub (140g). do you think that will work.

and also , how come i didnt have any of that foam or going nuts with my TPW ,,,,, it kicked off Ok then just been bubbling over like soft drink.... suggestions ?

It sounds all good mate,,I've only done a few tpw,but heaps of beer,so found tpw not hard to do,mine just bubbled away like yours about 8 days,,I did a 12 l wash with 2k sugar,about 80g yeast pinch Epsom pince citric acid,1 small tomato paste,no name,and it worked fine,do a fg test on it,about .990 is about where your aiming.also i found decanting it into another bucket,without the shit in the bottom,let it settle overnight,then distill it.was a bit cloudy still but was fine through the still!also you don't need that foam stoping crap from the HBS,when distilling,also ask heaps of questions because you get the right answers here mate,,good luck it'll be fine!!tasty fine!! :happy-partydance:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby Boomgate » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:21 am

jasonc2861 wrote:also you don't need that foam stoping crap from the HBS,when distilling

If you are concerned at all, you can add a tablespoon of vegetable or olive oil. (it is suggested in the manual for the ultra pure still as an alternative to the conditioner).
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

WHAT IS TPW

Postby Sam. » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:32 am

Boomgate wrote:
jasonc2861 wrote:also you don't need that foam stoping crap from the HBS,when distilling

If you are concerned at all, you can add a tablespoon of vegetable or olive oil. (it is suggested in the manual for the ultra pure still as an alternative to the conditioner).

Sugar washes arnt too much of a problem for foaming, if you are going to do all malt washes then you need to watch it.

I have found proper anti foaming agent to work a lot more effectively than the oil, haven't tried butter as some suggest
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

WHAT IS TPW

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:57 am

I use oil instead of the expensive LHBS stuff. 25L wash in a 30L boiler and no dramas on foaming over.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

WHAT IS TPW

Postby Sam. » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:10 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:I use oil instead of the expensive LHBS stuff. 25L wash in a 30L boiler and no dramas on foaming over.

What sort of wash is that in?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

WHAT IS TPW

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:51 am

TPW is all I do (reflux still)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

WHAT IS TPW

Postby Sam. » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:06 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:TPW is all I do (reflux still)

Have you tried with no oil?

I have never had a TPW puke and I have ran them very hard on stripping runs with bugger all headspace.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Boomgate » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:22 pm

How long does a TPW (25L as per the recipy in tried and proven) normally ferment for? My first batch took about a week and a half, but weather was pretty cold, this time weather has been above 25 degrees most days. I put it in on Sunday and it has stopped bubbling today.... Just curious... :text-threadjacked:
Boomgate

Postby Kimbo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:30 pm

Sounds about right to me, if you keep it a bit warmer, it will ferment quicker
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Boomgate » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:07 pm

Kimbo wrote:Sounds about right to me, if you keep it a bit warmer, it will ferment quicker

Seriously? 5 days? I can make 5 litres of booze every 5 days?
Boomgate

Postby Popcorn Jack » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:14 pm

As long as you pay taxes...lol
Popcorn Jack

equipment: Turbo 500
A boka still in bits...

Postby Boomgate » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:40 pm

Popcorn Jack wrote:As long as you pay taxes...lol

Please go an review the code of conduct for this forum, using offensive language is prohibited... :text-freedom:
Boomgate

Postby Lowndsey » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:41 pm

Boomgate wrote:
Kimbo wrote:Sounds about right to me, if you keep it a bit warmer, it will ferment quicker

Imagine what you could do with multiple fermenters.... :techie-idea:
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby Boomgate » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:00 pm

Lowndsey wrote:
Boomgate wrote:

I could make.............................................. more!!
Boomgate

Postby crow » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:46 pm

Lowndsey wrote:
Boomgate wrote:

Multiple 80 ltr fermenters oh yeah oh yeah :dance: :dance: 8-) and out of bottles jars vases thermo's barrels, fuck well this sucks
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby jasonc2861 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:59 pm

croweater wrote:
Lowndsey wrote:
Boomgate wrote:

Multiple 80 ltr fermenters oh yeah oh yeah :dance: :dance: 8-) and out of bottles jars vases thermo's barrels, fuck well this sucks

Hey you guys use old beer bottles at all?no drama with the crown seal?just for neutral that's all.cheers. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby Linny » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:42 pm

Well my tpw finished in 8 days pretty happy since I thought it would take 2 weeks... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Added 1 teaspoon of gelatine to 200ml if hot water and then stirred it in... I'm amazed how fast that works... It's so cheap and the tpw is still half the price of turbo. First time I took the lid off. Had a smell and holy shit! It nearly blew my head off... She is definitely finished. Lol
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby jasonc2861 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:34 pm

Linny wrote:Well my tpw finished in 8 days pretty happy since I thought it would take 2 weeks... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Added 1 teaspoon of gelatine to 200ml if hot water and then stirred it in... I'm amazed how fast that works... It's so cheap and the tpw is still half the price of turbo. First time I took the lid off. Had a smell and holy shit! It nearly blew my head off... She is definitely finished. Lol

Yeeeeeeewww! You laughing man,,boil that sucker!!i never went the gelatine with the tpw,,used it heaps on beer tho,might give it a try but lovin the results so far!,,,yeeeeeeewww!! :D :D :D :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:21 am

Jason said
Hey you guys use old beer bottles at all?no drama with the crown seal?just for neutral that's all.cheers.

yes i do but not for long term storage just for takeaway bottles where i know i aint gonna get the bottle back.
clear wine bottles look better and are tougher :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby jasonc2861 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:45 am

:text-thankyoublue:
kiwikeg wrote:Jason said
Hey you guys use old beer bottles at all?no drama with the crown seal?just for neutral that's all.cheers.

yes i do but not for long term storage just for takeaway bottles where i know i aint gonna get the bottle back.
clear wine bottles look better and are tougher :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-thankyoublue:
jasonc2861

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions