Aluminium Keg Boiler

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Aluminium Keg Boiler

Postby TassieStiller » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:22 pm

Will the hole left by the spear be big enough? I might see what it looks like when it arrives, then sort cutting if it's not big enough. Thanks for the suggestion.[/quote]

The hole will be fine. Many people clamp a 2" ferrule to it with no issues, however, some others (me included) had the 2" ferrule cut out and a 4" one put in to fit directly onto the 4" column.

Kegs are great to use :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element

Postby crow » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:28 pm

crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:52 am

Bloke,

try this if your wanting to go 4"...

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2115&start=20#p30109

enjoy
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:35 am

Hi Guys, spent a bit of time thinking about this post so here goes-

Aluminium Keg Boilers

With the Aliminium at the end of the day its your choice what level of risk you feel comfortable with.

I do note many lower end HBS stills on the market make extensive use of aliminiun.

Personally about 20 years ago I made the decision to minimise my aliminium exposure to avoid any possible long term health effects so I personally have not used aliminiun cookware since that time.

I was mainly concern about a possible link with Dementia in the elderly new research does cast doubt on that link,

What I do know for sure is that now I can often taste if food has been prepared in Aluminium cookware.

Cheers
KK
P.S aliminium link goes to old HD perant site- the HD forum no longer suppotrs the use of aliminium http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... ium+health :greetings-waveyellow:
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Fatherjack » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:43 am

yeah & I was gonna say what my personal thoughts were, on being exposed to too much ali

But now I cant remember what it was :angry-banghead: :laughing-rolling: :handgestures-thumbdown:
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

Postby crow » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:18 pm

really interesting thread you linked there KK :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby blond.chap » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:22 am

Thanks for your replies everyone, I'm not convinced that Aluminium would kill me or fall apart immediately, or cause the Apocalypse... But I might go with stainless to be safe.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby crow » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:32 am

No your right If you bought an old pre 1950s pure aluminium pot it would be not so bad not good but kinda ok in the short term. However almost none of the modern stockpot ect are pure Aluminium they are alloys of all sorts of shit like zinc magnesium cadmium antinomy ect and I'd as just as likely recommend lead pipe as one of these, you've asked advise and gotten it do what ya like with it
crow

Postby blond.chap » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:42 pm

croweater wrote:No your right If you bought an old pre 1950s pure aluminium pot it would be not so bad not good but kinda ok in the short term. However almost none of the modern stockpot ect are pure Aluminium they are alloys of all sorts of shit like zinc magnesium cadmium antinomy ect and I'd as just as likely recommend lead pipe as one of these, you've asked advise and gotten it do what ya like with it

Absolutely, I appreciate the advice and it's introduced enough doubt into my mind that I wouldn't be 100% comfortable using Aluminium.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions