Harshness

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Harshness

Postby unsub » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:36 am

I ran a few batches of TPW low wines with one lot of vodka star low wines through a bok on the weekend and it came out smelling almost neutral and tasting ok, but is really harsh on the nose. I know it sounds strange that it smells ok but is harsh on the nose but that's the best way to describe it.

The set up is a 2" boka on a 50l keg with 2 elements. I got up to temp with both elements then turned one off and used the voltage controller to turn the other one down.

I thought it might be the addition of the vodka star low wines that caused the harshness even though I have run it previously with no problems. Fast forward 2 days later and I ran some UJ wash through the bubbler and while the heads and tails came out like normal, sweet for heads and stinky for tails and both had no harshness on the nose. However, the hearts have the same harsh effect on my nose as the tpw/vodka star low wines.

I'm confident on differentiating the cuts through the run having done it a number of times so I don't think that's the issue. The only common denominator is the boiler that I recently started using which as mentioned above is just a standard keg with 2 elements.

Can throwing too much heat at it during boil up cause the issue I am having (or possibly perceiving I am having)?

cheers

unsub
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Re: Harshness

Postby emptyglass » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:47 am

You might have some residual stinky stuff in your boiler.

I've found it can take a run or two to clean up a boiler that has spent its life dispensing beer.
emptyglass

Postby JayD » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:07 am

As a suggestion boil up a small vinegar water mix with out your still on and let her boil away for 30 mins then rinse. Maybe this will help. With one of my kegs I used a dishwasher tablet with hot water over night then blasted it clean with a karcher high pressure water but I have not used this keg yet, if you go this way be careful as the keg pressurises a tad over night.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Harshness

Postby Sam. » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:12 am

What %ABV are you sniffing it at?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby unsub » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:15 am

Thanks for the replies. I cleaned the keg thoroughly when I got it and also boiled some vinegar in it and there are no off smells but I'll give it another crack this week. I currently have an influx of kegs so I might try another one if I can be bothered.

sam_and_liv,

It's the same at 95%, 65% and 40%. I've also done a bit of neutral previously and it didn't have this harshness.

cheers

unsub
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby JayD » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:27 am

I have experienced a harsher smell/taste in the last wash of a 200lt ferment, we were going to re run it, but threw it out as we are re locating.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Return to Beginners Questions