still clean

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

still clean

Postby Boomgate » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:40 am

Heya guys, anyone know how much vinegar to water you need for a vinegar cleaning run?

also with a reflux still do you take out the packing and clean that out? (I am tempted to)
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

still clean

Postby Sam. » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:24 am

I have used half and half, might be overkill but gets the job done.

You can take the packing out and soak it or do your cleaning run with it attached don't reckon there would be much difference. If it was really dirty you might want to take it out unless you have one of those commercial units where it's a pain in the arse to put back in then I wouldn't bother
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: still clean

Postby crow » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:01 pm

if this still is like mine and I'm sure it is do not repeat not remove the packing as it is a complete c#nt to re pack and the company charges $80 to do it for you mix up a solution of citric acid and water in a container like a tall skinny bucket and submerse the column in it and leave it in for say 1/2 to 1 hr the that it out and and rinse with a hose hey presto new still.
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby bt1 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:49 pm

Normally use 2 parts water to 1 part vinegar and no cooling let her rip for a couple of hours...

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Boomgate » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:12 pm

croweater wrote:if this still is like mine and I'm sure it is do not repeat not remove the packing as it is a complete c#nt to re pack and the company charges $80 to do it for you mix up a solution of citric acid and water in a container like a tall skinny bucket and submerse the column in it and leave it in for say 1/2 to 1 hr the that it out and and rinse with a hose hey presto new still.

Thanks, I would have hated to find that out the hard way...
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Return to Beginners Questions