storage

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

storage

Postby Lil Pete » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:09 am

hi guys was looking but cant find much on storage of your alcohol or flavors
i have a few litres of the finished product and have been storing them in 15l fermenters for now as thats all i have whats the best way to store bourbons and schnapps etc if you have bulk i know i can go buy 40 bottles but id rather try and keep them in bulk containers if im not drinking it straight away

also are the 1.125 pet bottles from brew shops any good or is glass better
Lil Pete

equipment: turbo 500

storage

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:22 am

I don't think u should be storing high percentage alcohol in plastic, no matter what the grade is. Glass is always best, some store bulk in kegs for aging.

As u have quite a small amount I would suggest getting a few 5L demijohns or large jars. I found some pasta jars from the reject shop for a couple of bucks each and they each store 4L but again, plastic can be an issue, remove any seals that may be in the lids. I also get my friends and family to keep liquor bottles for me.

But seriously I would remove the liquor from the fermenters ASAP.

Keep an eye out on gumtree or the for sale section here. Maybe there is a member close to that could help out until you get set up? :)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Re: storage

Postby Lil Pete » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:35 am

i got a few demijohns yesterday and took out of fermenters the ones i have have a clip lid with a seal do i remove those as well
i only was using the fermenters as a backup cause i ran out of bottles but cheers for your help
Lil Pete

Postby Lil Pete » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:58 am

how do u modify a keg for storage just wondering if anyone has a pic or something cheers
Lil Pete

storage

Postby Sam. » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:13 pm

This is a 3 inch ferrule but your normal keg is 2 inch just got a blank and a seal and tri clamp.

I use this for storing low wines could use it for mass storage
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby kiwikeg » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:29 pm

clear glass wine bottles look classy, are free and are hard to break.... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
and for the demis with the swing top ive got a few of those as well and for short term storage 3-4days i use the swing top with the o-ring as supplied but for longer term storage i jam a wine cork into them as a seal instead of the swing top
the old 2l or 2.25l beer/sherry flagons work good too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby audistiller » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:57 pm

Hi Pete,

I plan on doing a bulk buy of glass bottles ranging from 700ml to 5 litre, but I have had a few things setting me back and I'm not sure how much longer it will be, hopefully not too far away. You can buy 1125ml glass bottles from IKEA in Osborne Park for around $1.50 each. Just buy what you need to get you by, and I will let you know when the bulk buy goes ahead, just please don't rely on me if your desperate for bottles.

Register your interest in this thread and you will be advised when its happening....viewtopic.php?f=30&t=1286
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:09 am

For long term storage I went with this
:D
Short term storage,booze I'm gunna drink in the next 6 months or so,I just store and oak in kegs with a 2" blanking cap and triclamp :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:34 am

If [when i get around to uncle Jessie or molasses was heres my idea to store low wines ]
An 12 gall ss drum with a racking cane from old time 9 or18 gall kegs a few psi air and blow it into the boiler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Lil Pete » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:12 pm

i got a few of these today there 9 litres with no seal and a tap
would these be ok for storing it
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lil Pete

storage

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:44 pm

Yep! Perfect!! Just don't take it to a party full of bourbon or someone might break the seemingly irreplaceable little tap off! And you'll be stuck with a fuckin cork in it and won't take it to a party again cos it's now considered povo :)
Urrazeb

Postby Lil Pete » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:56 pm

talking from past experiance urrazeb?? :text-lol:
Lil Pete

storage

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:21 am

Um... Yeah was a good day! I tried to take a pic with that post but my house seems to be in a black spot as far as reception goes.
Urrazeb

Postby Boomgate » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:11 am

I store mine here...

stomach.jpg

*note, the image of the flab was taken by my stuntman dave. My contract stipulates that I am not required to expose myself in front of cameras.
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby Boomgate » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:13 am

Lil Pete wrote:i got a few of these today there 9 litres with no seal and a tap
would these be ok for storing it

Sure would.... you could use them for oaking too with a large opening like that.

Note that whenever you buy any glassware (particularly decanters) that you should ensure it is not "lead crystal" or "lead glass". this is usually just found in the fancy decanters... this can leach lead into your booze which is very bad for you...
Boomgate

storage

Postby Lupus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:33 am

Those look great Lil Pete. Have been looking at those at a local store. But I don't think the ones I was looking at was 9 liters. Will have to check!
Lupus

equipment: Total N00bie with lst to learn

storage

Postby Sam. » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:01 am

Boomgate wrote:Note that whenever you buy any glassware (particularly decanters) that you should ensure it is not "lead crystal" or "lead glass". this is usually just found in the fancy decanters... this can leach lead into your booze which is very bad for you...

You got a reference to back that up?

Sounds a bit like bullshit to me mate
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby blond.chap » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:16 am

The 14 year old boy that writes wikipedia tells me that lead glassware is pretty uncommon these days. Unless you have a really fancy antique decanter I wouldn't be too worried about it.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Boomgate » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:54 am

sam_and_liv wrote:
Boomgate wrote:Note that whenever you buy any glassware (particularly decanters) that you should ensure it is not "lead crystal" or "lead glass". this is usually just found in the fancy decanters... this can leach lead into your booze which is very bad for you...

You got a reference to back that up?

Sounds a bit like bullshit to me mate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_glass#Safety
http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/w ... rystal.asp
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/lead/WorkerInfo.html
http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/publichealt ... ead.html#5
http://www.haz-map.com/leadfact.htm
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv/en ... mb-eng.php

The list goes on...
Boomgate

Postby Boomgate » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:57 am

blond.chap wrote:The 14 year old boy that writes wikipedia tells me that lead glassware is pretty uncommon these days. Unless you have a really fancy antique decanter I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Its generally written on the bottom or top if it is...
Boomgate

Next

Return to Beginners Questions