Just an Idea - VM Still

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Just an Idea - VM Still

Postby karrotbear » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:59 am

Okay, so I know that this thread is useless without pics, so thats what I'll be doing at work today whilst dodging detection because I'm up for my performance review!

So what I'm thinking of doing is attaching a 1x1x(something) T-joint which will act as my VM portion of the still, the (something) will have to be at a reduced size than the 1" because as I understand it if the needle valve was open the vapor would divide into those ratios with majority going through the 1" with a proportion going through the (something).

Now because the (something) isnt closed off, am I right in thinking that there is a possibility for vapor (the gross kind) to get 'stuck' in that arm? and if so is it bad? I was thinking of making a super small leibig and angling the (something) up so that whatever vapor goes up there condenses and falls back down (with some sort of valve switch that I can turn off when I am ready to start production). Would that be worth it? Am I messing or worrying about shit that really doesnt matter?
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Re: Just an Idea - VM Still

Postby googe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:05 am

Hi mate, from my understanding you need a gate valve not a needle. So no need to reduce at (something) . As for the rest, im lost :laughing-rolling: . Yeah, pics would help :handgestures-thumbupleft: .
googe

Postby Dave » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:42 am

I see a few designs have the gate valve on the vm outlet instead of a needle valve. Is this to allow less restriction?
Dave

equipment: 10 gal pot, reflux still

Postby Sam. » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:33 pm

Dave wrote:I see a few designs have the gate valve on the vm outlet instead of a needle valve. Is this to allow less restriction?

You have a fine enough adjustment with the gate valve :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Needle valves are more preferable for LM
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby karrotbear » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:44 am

Man I've been slack. The drawing has been sitting on my work computer but I keep forgetting to bring it home! How do you attach images?

Also, if I dont want to buy gate valves (considering I already have 2 perfectly good Needle valves) what would the final impact be if I use the needle valves?
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Postby MacStill » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:01 am

karrotbear wrote:
Also, if I dont want to buy gate valves (considering I already have 2 perfectly good Needle valves) what would the final impact be if I use the needle valves?

It doesnt matter how many time the same question gets asked, the answer wont change ;-)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2468#p39315
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Beginners Questions