Low ABV on Reflux

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Low ABV on Reflux

Postby Boomgate » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:06 am

Hi guys, previously I used to get around the 93-97% on my still, my last two runs have been 90%.

What is the element that decides the ABV result and what could be the likely cause for the reduction?
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Re: Low ABV on Reflux

Postby kiwikeg » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:52 am

hi boomgate I get this sometimes too what i find is its not enuff water flow thru the refux condenser at top of the column so water vapour starts sneaking into the output (can knock my output down to 80% if i am not careful)...warmer water from the mains in summer is a major cause of needing higher water flows. if its reallly hot weather i move the still into the bathroom with the extractor fan running. that gets me back up to 92-93%
hope this helps
kk

Edit 93-97%? ru sure? might need to correct that alcometer reading to 20c temp..... :smile:
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Boomgate » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:00 pm

kiwikeg wrote:Edit 93-97%? ru sure? might need to correct that alcometer reading to 20c temp..... :smile:

I think you might have just hit the nail on the head..... I didnt let it cool down before checking the ABV..... does that make it go up or down?
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby kiwikeg » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:25 pm

give this one a whurr :handgestures-thumbupleft: http://www.copper-alembic.com/distillat ... hp?lang=en couldnt find a calculator for it on this site...
anyone know if theres one on aussie distiller?
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby crow » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:38 pm

Yep there's 2 one is a app for ya phone called distillers toolbox posted by audistiller and the other is a calculator hmm are the not in calculators, I'll look into this for yaz, thought they were with the rest :?
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Beginners Questions