copper tun ginger beer ........

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby krawczuk » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:22 am

hi, with this copper tun ginger beer kit , i waited till it stopped fermenting , and the s.g was steady or 48 hours.

then i added the ginger beer flavouring as directions , after that it started to bubble thru the air lock during the nite when i checked it this morning it seemed to have nearly stopped.

is this normal ?

thanks, mark k
krawczuk

equipment: normal still

Re: copper tun ginger beer ........

Postby kelbygreen » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:33 am

are you going to distill this?

The beer has c02 still in it even after fermentation so if the temperature rose it will let out more c02 even if its not fermenting. Also could of been sugar in the flavouring or it could of just let some c02 escape when it was added. As long as your FG is within the range you think it should be and that the gravity is steady for 3+ days you should be fine
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:53 am

If you're bottling this then when you prime the bottles right with the suggested amount of sugar on the instructions and cap the bottles within 2-4 weeks it will carb up.

The more time in the bottle, the more the priming sugar acts with the residual yeast to produce co2.

I suggest you hit the Aussie Home brewer forum and search "bulk priming" if you want a simple method of getting your priming sugar evenly distributed, regardless of bottle size.

I use this calculator and only bulk prime my ciders, beers, hard lemonade and gingers.
http://webspace.webring.com/people/ms/sirleslie/AlcoholChart/PrimingCalculator.html

If you do one thing to improve your brewing experience, then bulk priming is it!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Return to Beginners Questions