Can you make something that tastes like scotch usng a reflx?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Can you make something that tastes like scotch usng a re

Postby Boomgate » Tue May 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Hobo wrote:The ones I have used are the Q Brew Whiskey Chips... here
whiskeychips.png

They are untoasted and I don't think it matters what brand you use, but for Scotch just use plain oak chips, not bourbon chips.
I think the Gobblers are actual Bourbon barrels chipped up, you can really smell the Bourbon smell before too long (not good for Scotch)
Also, yes I do add to 40% spirit, I do not store above 40% although I believe that traditional whiskey is stored in barrels at about 60% and then diluted before bottling.
Most of my flavour comes from the oak chips, I just use the essence for the peat smoke edge. :drool:

Yeah the gobblers are great for bourbon but not whiskey... Fantastic actually.... but the wifey doesn't like bourbon but loves scotch :)

Thanks so much for this, Im going to give it a try...
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby Hobo » Tue May 07, 2013 8:43 pm

Go for it BG! I know I am not making real Scotch Whiskey (so it's not the real deal) but I am making something that does taste like Scotch, it tastes better than Johnny W and doesn't give me a hangover.
The big + is that I drive right by the Bottle O ! :-D
It's not a competition, make something that you (and the missus) likes and enjoy.
Hobo

Location: Aussie Drifter.\ Hometown Melbourne, currently Central Qld
equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

Postby Boomgate » Tue May 07, 2013 9:31 pm

Hobo wrote:Go for it BG! I know I am not making real Scotch Whiskey (so it's not the real deal) but I am making something that does taste like Scotch, it tastes better than Johnny W and doesn't give me a hangover.
The big + is that I drive right by the Bottle O ! :-D
It's not a competition, make something that you (and the missus) likes and enjoy.

Lets call it FauxScotch...

Im really looking forward to trying this now!! Of to the [url]Grain and Grape[/url] this weekend I think!
Boomgate

Postby Sam. » Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 pm

Hobo wrote:, it tastes better than Johnny W and doesn't give me a hangover.

When your making it for fuck all and your getting those results, can you really complain :handgestures-thumbupleft:

It's the addiction that will send you on the path on trying to make the best whisky you possibly can :D
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby TassieStiller » Tue May 07, 2013 11:24 pm

I did my first run of UJSM last week with the plate tree inserted in my reflux column. I did one previously without the tree in bringing it back to a "sort of" pot still, but on advise from others, I tried with the tree intact.
What I did was run it in reflux for only 15 minutes, then I shut the cooling off the reflux condenser and only had cooling in the product condenser. The spirit coming out did have quite an amount of flavour still, so it definately was not stripped of flavour. I am saving up the strip until I have 40L at 40%, then i am going to do a spirit run and see how it goes.

It isn't Whisky, but it is the same process. Much cheaper trying with UJSM before I start attempting the FSW recipe :)
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element

Postby Sam. » Tue May 07, 2013 11:46 pm

TassieStiller wrote:I did my first run of UJSM last week with the plate tree inserted in my reflux column. I did one previously without the tree in bringing it back to a "sort of" pot still, but on advise from others, I tried with the tree intact.
What I did was run it in reflux for only 15 minutes, then I shut the cooling off the reflux condenser and only had cooling in the product condenser. The spirit coming out did have quite an amount of flavour still, so it definately was not stripped of flavour. I am saving up the strip until I have 40L at 40%, then i am going to do a spirit run and see how it goes.

It isn't Whisky, but it is the same process. Much cheaper trying with UJSM before I start attempting the FSW recipe :)

Pretty sure none of that really satisfies the heading? Or the rest of the thread :shifty:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Boomgate » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:31 pm

Trying it now... have a litre of neutral at 94% so... woohoo
Boomgate

Postby Brendan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:44 pm

Boomgate wrote:Trying it now... have a litre of neutral at 94% so... woohoo

Are you "usng a reflx" Bommgate? :))

Sorry, I couldn't help myself ;-)
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor