Can you make something that tastes like scotch usng a reflx?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby Boomgate » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:15 am

So... since I am now on my... uhm... twentieth run on my reflux still I think I safely say I understand this procedure ... so the next part of my adventure is making something that resembles a scotch whiskey... or irish whiskey...

I have heard of good results using gobbler woodchips, so I have invested in a bag of the bourbon chips and have 1L sitting on those...

Should I give up ahead of time and get a Pot still and go from there?
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Re: Can you make something that tastes like scotch usng a re

Postby MacStill » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 am

I wont say that you cant do it with the ultra pure, but you will struggle a lot with that rig for making whiskey/whisky ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sam. » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:09 pm

If you arn't going to/cant detune your still you are going to struggle getting any flavour through from a wash.

You could however use those chips your talking about then add some essence as well, the Whisky Profile kit is the best IMHO.

But yeah if you don't want to use essences pot or bubbler it is :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby emptyglass » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:29 pm

Boomgate wrote:Should I give up ahead of time and get a Pot still and go from there?

Probably.
Easier in the long run.
emptyglass

Postby jasonc2861 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:52 pm

I'm getting some good results(ok not as good as a pot still) from the still spirits American gobbler bourban chips also some rum chunks and the jack daniels chips are nice,I've found that if I put them in a ltr jar at about 60% alc,that it takes the flavour and colour out of the chips pretty quickly,week or two maybe,then water down to 40%,they taste ok.i have to say I left some in for a month and half and it tasted a bit woody.filter with muslin cloth,then if you want to make it extra clear go a coffee filter paper.im hoping for a pot still for my bday..told the boss that's what I want.!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby Boomgate » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:06 pm

jasonc2861 wrote:I'm getting some good results(ok not as good as a pot still) from the still spirits American gobbler bourban chips also some rum chunks and the jack daniels chips are nice,I've found that if I put them in a ltr jar at about 60% alc,that it takes the flavour and colour out of the chips pretty quickly,week or two maybe,then water down to 40%,they taste ok.i have to say I left some in for a month and half and it tasted a bit woody.filter with muslin cloth,then if you want to make it extra clear go a coffee filter paper.im hoping for a pot still for my bday..told the boss that's what I want.!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I have some on gobbly bourbon chips right now.... Was planning on leaving it for 14 days and then filtering ...

But yeah, I might have to get myself a McStill potty... uhm that sounds weird...
Boomgate

Postby Andy » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:18 pm

Boomgate wrote:But yeah, I might have to get myself a McStill potty... uhm that sounds weird...

make sure ur properly potty trained
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby emptyglass » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:16 pm

Andy wrote:
Boomgate wrote:But yeah, I might have to get myself a McStill potty... uhm that sounds weird...

make sure ur properly potty trained

Are you ready to piss in the pot not the nappie? Then you need some potty training. :teasing-neener:
emptyglass

Postby agwj » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:32 pm

Hi there,
Check out the link bnelow it will answer your question.
http://www.mhtg.org/system/uploads/atta ... ftbook.pdf
agwj

equipment: Hillbilly perf plate condensor electric, Still Spirits Artisan Copper Condenser

Postby Boomgate » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:49 am

agwj wrote:Hi there,

I think you have answered my question.... I CAN do it with a reflux still, in fact in some cases they even use a detuned reflux still....

The most interesting line in that PDF was the following "When new whiskey is freshly distilled, it’s colorless and possesses only the flavor and
aroma of the grain and the alcohol. It’s from aging in charred oak barrels that the whiskey
acquires its color, complexity, and richness of flavor."

Which implies to me that if I do grain wash, and then age it on oak it will create a real whiskey..... A pot run might bring across "more" grain flavour, so with my reflux I might not get the full complexity, but I should be able to get close...
Boomgate

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:54 am

"It possesses the flavour of the grain"...

You know what flavour I get out of my reflux still? No flavour. So yeah you might get closer but you're half way behind because the reflux is designed to remove all flavour.

And you know what they call a detuned reflux? Yeah that's a pot still:-)

The profile kits are meant to be pretty good I hear, bit expensive but not bad for making clones.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:06 am

Boomgate wrote:

I think you have answered my question.... I CAN do it with a reflux still, in fact in some cases they even use a detuned reflux still....

The most interesting line in that PDF was the following "When new whiskey is freshly distilled, it’s colorless and possesses only the flavor and
aroma of the grain and the alcohol. It’s from aging in charred oak barrels that the whiskey

Which implies to me that if I do grain wash, and then age it on oak it will create a real whiskey..... A pot run might bring across "more" grain flavour, so with my reflux I might not get the full complexity, but I should be able to get close...

Remember my first response ? ;-)

Your still is not even close to what they're calling a reflux still mate, the pure distilling unit has issues with detuning and the valve doesn't open far enough to collect at pot still speeds.

Before you go pulling the packing out of your rig you should talk to crow, he's done this and had a bitch of a time with it and vowed never to do it again.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Boomgate » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:32 pm

McStill wrote:
Boomgate wrote:

Remember my first response ? ;-)

Your still is not even close to what they're calling a reflux still mate, the pure distilling unit has issues with detuning and the valve doesn't open far enough to collect at pot still speeds.

Before you go pulling the packing out of your rig you should talk to crow, he's done this and had a bitch of a time with it and vowed never to do it again.

Ah, ok.... Ill have to save up for a Pot Still then...
Boomgate

Postby crow » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:19 pm

Yep do that :handgestures-thumbupleft:
I don't give a shit what anyone says all evidence point towards horses for causes , not to say that's the only way but it is the best way and seriously there really isn't much to a basic pot still
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Hobo » Tue May 07, 2013 7:20 pm

G'day Boomgate, you have probably move on from this topic by now, but I have made some pretty good Scotch tasting drink using my neutral and oak chips.
I just soak 10 grams of Whiskey chips or American Oak chips per litre till I get the color and flavour I want, then I add a dash of the Still Spirits "Smokey Malt Whiskey" essence.
I usually use 2.5- 5ml per 1.125 bottle, I just flavour to taste.
I like to get my taste and colour from the oak, it just needs that Peat smoke. i reckon it is pretty good.
I think that the whiskey profile kit is a good idea, but I think it would work out expensive.
I have used the Gobbler's Bourbon chips and they are great, just not for Scotch, they are more of a Beam/ Jack D oaker. I have made a nice JD flavour using Gobblers chip, with some Genuine Maple Syrup and a dash of Vanilla Extract, yum
I hope my experiments help a bit. :smile:
Hobo

Location: Aussie Drifter.\ Hometown Melbourne, currently Central Qld
equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

Postby Boomgate » Tue May 07, 2013 7:51 pm

Hobo wrote:G'day Boomgate, you have probably move on from this topic by now, but I have made some pretty good Scotch tasting drink using my neutral and oak chips.
I just soak 10 grams of Whiskey chips or American Oak chips per litre till I get the color and flavour I want, then I add a dash of the Still Spirits "Smokey Malt Whiskey" essence.
I usually use 2.5- 5ml per 1.125 bottle, I just flavour to taste.
I like to get my taste and colour from the oak, it just needs that Peat smoke. i reckon it is pretty good.
I think that the whiskey profile kit is a good idea, but I think it would work out expensive.
I have used the Gobbler's Bourbon chips and they are great, just not for Scotch, they are more of a Beam/ Jack D oaker. I have made a nice JD flavour using Gobblers chip, with some Genuine Maple Syrup and a dash of Vanilla Extract, yum
I hope my experiments help a bit. :smile:

Heya Hobo, nope, havent moved on.... What chips did you use, was there a particular brand that was better? and were they toasted or not toasted? Also, when adding the chips, Im assuming yo are adding that to a 40% ABV bottle?
Boomgate

Postby Hobo » Tue May 07, 2013 8:10 pm

The ones I have used are the Q Brew Whiskey Chips... here
whiskeychips.png

They are untoasted and I don't think it matters what brand you use, but for Scotch just use plain oak chips, not bourbon chips.
I think the Gobblers are actual Bourbon barrels chipped up, you can really smell the Bourbon smell before too long (not good for Scotch)
Also, yes I do add to 40% spirit, I do not store above 40% although I believe that traditional whiskey is stored in barrels at about 60% and then diluted before bottling.
Most of my flavour comes from the oak chips, I just use the essence for the peat smoke edge. :drool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobo

Location: Aussie Drifter.\ Hometown Melbourne, currently Central Qld
equipment: Home made Copper Reflux still, 50l keg boiler, 2inch x 850mm column packed with stainless scrubbers and reverse liebig condenser. 95% and stoked!

Postby Brendan » Tue May 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Here's my plan...

- Buy 3x 25kg bags of malted barley
- Buy a smaller quantity (7kg) of peated distilling malt
- Mash it in a mash tun
- Strain the wort into fermenters and crash cool
- Add a yeast starter
- Distill in a plated column with 4 plates
- Age in an oak barrel for a few years

I've heard it gives good results ;-)

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby emptyglass » Tue May 07, 2013 8:18 pm

Brendan wrote:- Age in an oak barrel for a few years:

This bit here, thats where the plan falls down :laughing-rolling:

If all you have to work with is a small reflux, nothing wrong with trying to get the best out of it.
Just don't try the vodka essence, it dosn't taste anything like vodka :handgestures-thumbupleft:
emptyglass

Postby Boomgate » Tue May 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Brendan wrote:Here's my plan...

- Buy 3x 25kg bags of malted barley
- Buy a smaller quantity (7kg) of peated distilling malt
- Mash it in a mash tun
- Strain the wort into fermenters and crash cool
- Add a yeast starter
- Distill in a plated column with 4 plates
- Age in an oak barrel for a few years

I've heard it gives good results ;-)