tail cuts

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

tail cuts

Postby bear74 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:28 am

i am into my 3rd generation distillation while my 1st and 2nd gen cuts sit aging on french oak spirals in a 50L ss keg. my question is as it has 20L of aging product in it and i plan on continuing to fill it with consecutive cuts if I am stricter with my cuts in the next spirit runs will this help the product if i think i have got a little to much tail influence in the keg from the the first runs? so what i am asking is will the tails effect be lessened by blending final product that has very tails in it?
the first two runs have produced a very heavy rum and i am waiting to see if the oaking will round it out nicely but if after another week or so it hasnt shown some improvement i will be much stricter on my cuts to blend and improve it. any advice appreciated :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bear74

equipment: handmade copper pot and parrot,
50L keg and element
220L fermentors

Re: tail cuts

Postby blond.chap » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:48 am

It would probably lessen the tails taste, but if it was me I'd mature the new stuff separately, otherwise you run the risk of ruining it all. You can always blend them back together later.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Re: tail cuts

Postby emptyglass » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:55 am

If you've got the room to make tighter cuts, I'd do it. Oaking will help clear up the tails a bit but it takes time to get it back to ok, then longer to get good.
Better to start with good, then the same ammount of time makes it great.
If you add new stuff to old, it will usually only be as good as the youngest stuff in the blend.

Even though a barrel loses a little bit, they are the best thing by far to make your stuff taste the best it can. If your serious about quality, try and get yourself a small to medium size barrel. It pays off.

A once used bourbon barrel is about as good as you could get for rum, but they take some hunting down. If not, an old red wine barrel is pretty good. You can get them re-worked (shaved and charred) or if you're keen, do it yourself.
emptyglass

Return to Beginners Questions