Single distil UJSM on a pot still

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Single distil UJSM on a pot still

Postby Bob Burbanx » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:04 am

Howdy Stillers,

Some advice please if you wouldn't mind.
I have been single distilling UJSM on a 2.5" potstill putting all the feints back through each time.
Does anyone else do this ? With the feints getting double disitlled I get a good amount at a high abv.
Personally I find the results fairly similar to stripping and doing a spirit run. (I do mix with coke though)
I figured I was getting enough hearts each time and I was pulling 80% abv at the start why not do 1 run.
I take 2 ltr of heads 3 litres hearts and 2 - 3 litres of tails. Keeping down to 20%. (The term hearts I use loosely as I add a bit of heads and tails, average of 65% abv)
Oaked on oak sticks for a month it is a winner every time.
I guess my questions are: Is 1 run getting rid of all the bad stuff (methanol etc) & does anyone else do this ? Why does everyone double distill ?

Cheers

Bob
Bob Burbanx

equipment: Pot still 2.5"

Re: Single distil UJSM on a pot still

Postby MR-E » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:56 pm

How you run your still is up to you, if you like the results your getting, stick to it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby Bob Burbanx » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Thanks MR-E, I appreciate that. But I guess I was after an opinion on why most people don't do this, as it is going against the grain a bit.
Bob Burbanx

Postby blond.chap » Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:33 pm

Bob Burbanx wrote:Thanks MR-E, I appreciate that. But I guess I was after an opinion on why most people don't do this, as it is going against the grain a bit.

I haven't done a UJSM, but I've done a few runs whisky and rum through a pot still. My first run spirit is always very coarse and unpleasant apart from a small section mid way through. The logic of the double run is that you get further separation of the light compounds (methanol, acetone) and heavier ones (propanol, butanol).

As said above though if it works for you go for it.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Sam. » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:13 pm

double distilling through a pot you will lose some of the flavour and bite from doing two runs, reckon thats why most people do it.

Also saves on time stripping all your washes then combining them for a big spirit run, then you will have a wider hearts cut and more end product off one run, easier that way to tell the difference between your cuts if taking in small jars.

If you like the strong bitey flavour (as a lot do) single running might just be your thing ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bt1 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:39 pm

Gee if your happy with it guess that all that needs to said...

I used to single run on hybrid pots. My figures where a little different however 92+abv start, 2 heads cuts, then bulk in a 5lt mason jar to 80abv. From 80 abv down cuts for tailsy bits to a finish at no lower than 75abv. Open up the heat, feints down to about 40~ish.

True, single running has a robust flavour but hybrid delivers the quality as well.

issues with single running on a retro view is it's so bloody dependant on a near perfect wash. There's no hiding a yeast or wash issue in a single run. Upside is like any single type process we have the luxury of post or mid ageing blending...a helpful tool for single runners.

Given wash impact reckon a all grain wash is the key to a good smooth product. Not raw ryes either they just bite, A malted rye works fine imho.

This is subjective comment but I also think a single run pot product takes longer to age to be truly nice. Oddly guess due to quality changes, I'm not seeing the same lag with ageing on the plater for what is , a single run.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby emptyglass » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:47 pm

single slow run was how I used to like running my pot, but I mostly made bourbon (still do). It gave better flavor for that drink on my set up and less mucking around.
I used to find if I added feints from last run perpetualy, it narrowed my heart cut, so I used to save them till I had enough to to a pure feints run. Always adding the preveious run can also muck arround with your ph, so keep an eye on that.
I hated doing strip and spirit runs when slow single run did the trick, for me anyway.
emptyglass

Postby Bob Burbanx » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:43 pm

Thanks for the replies guy's. Using a HBS boiler with no temp control doesnt help me much. But hey I would rather drink my 2 week old single distill stuff than the store
bought now anyway. I am with you WineGlass, that is exactly my sentiment I dont have the time or patience for stripping anyway. It may age slower and have more nasties in there and be a bit sharp but I oak the shit out of it and air it out heaps.Thanks I get the double distilling now and all you guy's have explained the difference perfectly, much appreciated.
I will double distill again when I get time as it is the tried and proven method, but it's in my nature to always look for short cuts, After a couple of weeks I freeze my jars and then heat them up to let some nasties get out, add a little maple syrup and it seems good to me. Did I mention I have no patience lol. I wont be accused of being a purist but thnaks to you guy's I am learning a fun new hobby & as everyone says if it works for ya keep doing it !
Bob Burbanx

Postby emptyglass » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:20 pm

Bob Burbanx wrote: but it's in my nature to always look for short cuts,

You're ready for a bubbler mate. Cut straight to the chase. It will pay off. A fill port and drain on your boiler will help out immensly with the overall time to make a batch of hooch.

If you flick to a big fermenter, use your yeast out of your little fementer to start it. You already have it trained to suit your tastes.
emptyglass

Postby Bob Burbanx » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:06 pm

Yep your'e right EG, you have me drooling at the thought of it.
What would you reccomend ?
Bob Burbanx

Return to Beginners Questions