Cloudy spirit

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Cloudy spirit

Postby jasonc2861 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:44 pm

Got a jar of about40% and it has like a white cloudy look to it.had it in there at 90 odd % for a week before I watered it down to 40.anyone had this?is it from the lid maybe?should I chuck it? :angry-banghead: also today I got a bottle of that jäger premix stuff from the hb shop,mixed it to 1 ltr,went to check the alc content and it floats to about 0 %,,man I can't work it out......remember I am a noob so treat me nice...... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Re: Cloudy spirit

Postby blond.chap » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:06 pm

Hey mate, the spirit sounds like you've gone too deep into the tails at the end. I'd run it back through the still and be more aggressive with your cuts (throw more of the end stuff back into your next run).

For the premix, is what you mixed it with carbonated? That would make the spirit hydrometer float higher.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby jasonc2861 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:20 pm

blond.chap wrote:Hey mate, the spirit sounds like you've gone too deep into the tails at the end. I'd run it back through the still and be more aggressive with your cuts (throw more of the end stuff back into your next run).

For the premix, is what you mixed it with carbonated? That would make the spirit hydrometer float higher.

Ok,,ill tip it in the next run I do,i use those ball mason jars never had any drama before so taking ur advice on that.the premix I had wasn't carbonated or anything,had the alc meter in the shed was a bit hot,,it floats at like -10% lol,,so don't know the story there,ill check it on a bottle o vodka I made.ok thanks mate! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby blond.chap » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:45 pm

No worries, this is the guide to cuts: http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2859.

After your spirit run, leave the jars of spirit out for a day or two, then smell them, and combine any that are good:
- The foreshots and heads (that came out first) will smell strong like nail polish remover, use the first 100-200mL as window cleaner and put any extra back into the next run
- The middle ones jars (that you keep) will have only a minor sweet smell
- The final jars will smell stale (to me a bit like old beer, some people say wet cardboard), throw these back into the next run too.

Not sure why your alcometer is acting up, testing it in a known sample is a good idea.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby crow » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:04 pm

jasonc2861 wrote:went to check the alc content and it floats to about 0 %,,man I can't work it out

You are using a spirit hydrometer... not a wash Hydrometer ?. the density of spirit is very different to wash and so these hydrometers are calibrated differently :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby jasonc2861 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:08 pm

blond.chap wrote:No worries, this is the guide to cuts: http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=2859.

After your spirit run, leave the jars of spirit out for a day or two, then smell them, and combine any that are good:
- The foreshots and heads (that came out first) will smell strong like nail polish remover, use the first 100-200mL as window cleaner and put any extra back into the next run
- The middle ones jars (that you keep) will have only a minor sweet smell
- The final jars will smell stale (to me a bit like old beer, some people say wet cardboard), throw these back into the next run too.

Not sure why your alcometer is acting up, testing it in a known sample is a good idea.

Ok,thank you very much,yer did the old taste test on the jäger,not to bad for a flavouring,def has alc in it,! :handgestures-thumbupleft: thnx again for help :text-thankyoublue:
jasonc2861

Postby jasonc2861 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:10 pm

crow wrote:
jasonc2861 wrote:went to check the alc content and it floats to about 0 %,,man I can't work it out

You are using a spirit hydrometer... not a wash Hydrometer ?. the density of spirit is very different to wash and so these hydrometers are calibrated differently :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yer using the spirit hdrometer.just checked it then,,hey would te viscosity have anything to do with it,,the jäger mix was very vicious,?
jasonc2861

Postby crow » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:26 pm

Yep sure as shit will , its a gravity or density meter so any thickening agents or syrup and it will be nearly useless . you will need to do it by knowing the volumes involved and using the calc's :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby jasonc2861 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:14 pm

crow wrote:Yep sure as shit will , its a gravity or density meter so any thickening agents or syrup and it will be nearly useless . you will need to do it by knowing the volumes involved and using the calc's :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Ahh makes sense now,,cheers bud! :D
jasonc2861

Return to Beginners Questions