Useful or Useless Electric Boiler?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Useful or Useless Electric Boiler?

Postby Flanders » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:43 pm

I like the idea of the T500 boiler, but was thinking for the price I could buy a plain water boiler. It has variable temp control and boil dry protection etc. Am I missing something really crucial or will something like this work well?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/35lt-Litre-Commercial-Stainless-Steel-Electric-Coffee-Making-Water-Boiler-Urn-/320999036929?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Restaurant_Catering_Equipment&hash=item4abd089801

( I apoligise if this has been asked before, I couldn't see anything on this )
Flanders

equipment: Looking to buy. Possibly build.

Re: Useful or Useless Electric Boiler?

Postby MacStill » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:51 pm

:handgestures-thumbdown:

The thermostat will bugger you up ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:19 pm

Yeah bud,gotta have constant heat,anything with a thermostat = no good
Why not build your own boiler? Pretty easy,beer keg,2400w element and your away,fair bit cheaper than a t500 boiler too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby AussieJas » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:38 pm

Hi Flanders
I'm new here as well I'm still looking around, the people a have met in this forum have been so much help,
But i am still on my L plates with stilling
I looked in to a hot water urn and apart from what the other guys said i found it very hard to find one that i could easily adapt the top on

So i went and bought a T500 boiler and i am happy with it for now as i am still learning (pardon the Pun)
i spoke to Macstill and he makes a pot still that will fit to the T500 boiler for $240 + post, I am going that way for now as it will get me up and running until i can afford a plated column

hope this helps
Jas
AussieJas

Postby crow » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:04 am

yeah look theres nothing wrong with the t500 boilers per say but you are very likely to be disappointed particularly using a pot still with that volume there are threads here on how to put an element in a keg I think in tips from the work bench, I use gas myself but there are a hell of a lot of members here that have done this. The other thing is the cost, for the price of the t500 boiler you could do quite a few keg boilers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:08 am

reckon the T500 boiler might not have as much capacity once 20 plus kilos of bubbler gets stuck on it :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Dont worry crow, I been coaching AJ a bit and your advise just assures him I aint pulling his leg :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby AussieJas » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Dont worry crow, I been coaching AJ a bit and your advise just assures him I aint pulling his leg

LOL Mac. i may not have explained myself
I will get my T500 up and running for now i am looking at a keg now to buy, and i got prices from THE LEG PULLER for the element and bits i need to make a boiler then i will fit witch ever still i end up going with.
AussieJas

Return to Beginners Questions