Pure Distilling still

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Pure Distilling still

Postby MacStill » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:44 am

nanna wrote:Collected total 2lts at 92%

Is this normal

It doesnt matter how many times you ask the same question nanna, the answer wont change. :angry-banghead:

Try doing a little research, you might learn something

If you cant be bothered to type a little info/background for your questions, well, people probably wont be bothered trying to pry the info out of you to answer those questions :angry-banghead:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby nanna » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:59 am

I dont understand your arrogance, I did answer the question with more info.

I am trying to get help and I am new to this forum sometimes we dont know what info is required.

You dont have to be an Ass about it. :handgestures-thumbdown:
nanna

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:02 am

Hi Nana, i reckon your wash was under done, sounds like the booze just wasn't there to get any more spirit out.

Also that is a very quick run time. My pure distilling rig can take 50-90 minutes to start boiling depending on the weather. After that I collect for maybe 3 hours or more so a still run takes a good 4+ hours total for me.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby nanna » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:10 am

Thank you for your reply.

I did check the wash before cooking and it was at 990.

Cooking another brew as we speak this one is a TPW as before with 6kg sugar .

It was below 990 23lt of wash sitting on 78.6 at the moment.

anything more I should list?

Will post back with results
nanna

Postby MacStill » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:37 am

nanna wrote:I dont understand your arrogance, I did answer the question with more info.

I am trying to get help and I am new to this forum sometimes we dont know what info is required.

You dont have to be an Ass about it. :handgestures-thumbdown:

And you nanna don't have much time left here if you keep being rude, perhaps you need to check the rules of this forum.

My arrogance as you call it comes from being the Administrator of this forum and repeatedly answering pretty basic questions that are repeatedly asked, that have already been answered a number of times, you obviously have a very poor understanding of the distillation process and probably require doing a little research as well as brushing up on your forum etiquette.

Now take a big deep breath & have a think about that before your next response ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:32 am

Let me start by saying Ive never run one of these stills, Ive read through this entire post about 3 times this morning.
A few discrepancies and problems is see here are.

nanna wrote:We pulled 1.4lt total at 92% before it went to 85deg plus total run time 1.5hrs

Im gunna agree with Backyard here......that seems way to fast to me.

BackyardBrewer wrote:[ The quick increase in temp I associate with the fact the alcohol was pretty much gone.

Or could it be that the temp is rising because product is being drawn off to fast ???

crow wrote: these stills normally pull around 95.5 consistently so this may give you the impression of a lower yield

Quote: (Pure Distilling Site) Delivers great tasting 93% alcohol with smooth flavour.

95.5 seems very high for such a short reflux column. Most manufactures don’t usually understate there best performance figures, In my experience its usually the opposite.

crow wrote:. Those instruction are a rough guide at best, your here now so pack them away and you can re read them in six months for a laugh (they are all but useless)

Id say Crows pretty spot on here, you need to experiment with your still, take your time and see what effect slower or faster output speeds have, also what affects different amounts of water going through the condenser have. You can always pour the finished product back in the boiler and start again. DO remember to water it back down to 40% or less first though.

Im also thinking along the same lines as Mac. Some time spent studying the “Newbies Corner” section might help a lot too. There is a lot to learn in this hobby, just because the manufacturer of your still says its easy doesn’t necessarily mean its so, especially if you want to make the best booze you can.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Zoo » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:53 pm

Hey Nanna,
I have the same still.
I get 3.6 - 3.9Lts out of it everytime @ 93-94% (temp adjusted). So I'd say it's your wash.

For the wash I put 8kgs sugar, fill it up to 25lts at about 30 degrees stir it in completely and just use the pure distilling premium spirit yeast.

I do put the turbo clean (it's just carbon) into the wash too. Dunno of this helps but I've heard it does.

The wash temp goes to about 34 after a day or 2, at the end it's about 25.

It takes 10days to finish, let it sit for another week to settle and it should be pretty clear. You can see to the bottom of your fermenter.

The still sounds like it's running ok, about 1lt an hour.

Hope that helps.
Zoo

equipment: Pure Distilling Spirit Maker

Postby nanna » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:01 pm

doing a lot better now.

Still doing TW but tried to make a 30lt batch and that came out at 3.2lt at 96% at 31 deg temp adjusted to 92.4

If we do a 25lt wash we get less, but we have now got used to the still.
nanna

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions