Pure Distilling still

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Pure Distilling still

Postby Kimbo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:29 am

yeah mate, scraps will do but remember to make sure they're clean.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby jasonc2861 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:55 am

Kimbo wrote:yeah mate, scraps will do but remember to make sure they're clean.

Right,ill citric acid the sh@t out of em! :D
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Pure Distilling still

Postby Sam. » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:41 pm

I think it also has something to do with giving the wash an area for bubbles to form to prevent surge boiling which can cause puking
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:53 pm

sam_and_liv wrote:I think it also has something to do with giving the wash an area for bubbles to form to prevent surge boiling which can cause puking

Nucleation ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sam. » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:11 pm

MacStill wrote:
sam_and_liv wrote:I think it also has something to do with giving the wash an area for bubbles to form to prevent surge boiling which can cause puking

Nucleation ;-)

Had to google that one, thought you were swearing at me :teasing-tease:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby nanna » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:53 pm

How many is too many?
nanna

Postby nanna » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:00 pm

Jason is this 2 to 3 ltrs of 95% from a 25 ltr tpw before or after temp adjustment
nanna

Pure Distilling still

Postby Sam. » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:16 pm

nanna wrote:How many is too many?

Prob only need a couple mate
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby crow » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:27 pm

one or two marbles will also do the trick :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby jasonc2861 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:09 pm

nanna wrote:Jason is this 2 to 3 ltrs of 95% from a 25 ltr tpw before or after temp adjustment

I usually test it when it cools down.sometimes I get less sometimes more,depends how long you go when the temp starts climbing.to be honest 3 ltrs would have a heap of tails there,which goes back in next run.use the link in this forum for cuts and you can't go wrong.be harsh tho.look for quality over quantity.works better that way,specially if you make a bit for family etc,,don't want to give out big hangovers,,lol.unless its for the mother in law.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

Postby nanna » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:16 pm

No I meant ABV you say yours is 95% is that after using the temperature table as it measures more when hot.
nanna

Postby jasonc2861 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:54 pm

nanna wrote:No I meant ABV you say yours is 95% is that after using the temperature table as it measures more when hot.

Yer it would be around 95% maybe a little lower. :handgestures-thumbupleft: when cool that is.i don't test it till I'm cutting it and mixing it with water.prob not the best way,but works for me.im always really fussy with cuts,quality is what I'm after.
jasonc2861

Postby Linno » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:39 pm

jasonc2861 wrote:
nanna wrote:Jason is this 2 to 3 ltrs of 95% from a 25 ltr tpw before or after temp adjustment

I usually test it when it cools down.sometimes I get less sometimes more,depends how long you go when the temp starts climbing.to be honest 3 ltrs would have a heap of tails there,which goes back in next run.use the link in this forum for cuts and you can't go wrong.be harsh tho.look for quality over quantity.works better that way,specially if you make a bit for family etc,,don't want to give out big hangovers,,lol.unless its for the mother in law.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As Jason c mentions its about quality over quantity. being harsh with your cuts is not an issue as you gather up enough heads and tails pretty quick for a feints run, which cleans up great.. so that is not a waste.
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby jasonc2861 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:13 pm

Linno wrote:
jasonc2861 wrote:

As Jason c mentions its about quality over quantity. being harsh with your cuts is not an issue as you gather up enough heads and tails pretty quick for a feints run, which cleans up great.. so that is not a waste.

Yer I like to look at it as,to buy 3 or 4 bottles of bourban/vodka whatever from the shop,that's 100 big ones easy,maybe more,so even 2 or 3 bottles you've killed it. :handgestures-thumbupleft: and the added bonus which I think makes it even better is that I made it myself :handgestures-thumbupleft: I know what's in it :handgestures-thumbupleft: it's a rush for me.
Nothing beats getting out in man land,maybe with a good mate or 2,having a laugh,few brews,making good quality spirits!!! :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
:dance:
jasonc2861

Pure Distilling still

Postby BackyardBrewer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:52 pm

...and don't forget the quality you get from only drinking premium hearts.

I had a shot of medium-high range quality vodka someone offered me (ice cold straight outta the freezer) and all I could taste was what was *wrong* with it. And this was not a cheap vodka - they paid nearly $50 for 750mls.

Burn from heads, oily after taste.
Like kerosine I tells ya!

You get used to drinking the good stuff youse yourself very quickly!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby jasonc2861 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:59 pm

Yep have to say friends and family have said its some of the best stuff they have had!u gotta be happy with that!L :handgestures-thumbupleft: except the mother in law,,she gets the special one marked heads and tails.... :laughing-rolling:
jasonc2861

Postby Sam. » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:04 pm

jasonc2861 wrote:Yep have to say friends and family have said its some of the best stuff they have had!u gotta be happy with that!L :handgestures-thumbupleft: except the mother in law,,she gets the special one marked heads and tails.... :laughing-rolling:

Wouldnt worry about the tails, give them nice sweet heads :handgestures-thumbupleft: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby nanna » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:03 am

Collected total 2lts at 92%

Is this normal
nanna

Postby Camikaze » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:11 am

Hey nanna,
A little bit more info on the run/wash etc would be helpful for the guys/gals to estimate where your issue may be. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Eg:

Was this 2 liters total including heads/tails?

TPW? Was it dry when ran?

Boiler charge?

Length of run?
Any info along those sort of lines that you can provide with your questions will make assessment a whole lot easier for everyone. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Take care. :smile:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby nanna » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:33 am

Camikaze wrote:Hey nanna,
A little bit more info on the run/wash etc would be helpful for the guys/gals to estimate where your issue may be. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Eg:

Was this 2 liters total including heads/tails? Yes

TPW? Was it dry when ran? ???

Boiler charge? 23Lt

Length of run? 2hrs
Any info along those sort of lines that you can provide with your questions will make assessment a whole lot easier for everyone. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Take care. :smile:
nanna

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions