First Build - 2" D R Boka

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby Hooky » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi Guys,

Have been doing a lot of browsing & researching, working out what to make for my 'first build'. I am able to take care of any welding or electrical work (I am a licenced Sparky & my dad was a Welder so taught me heaps).

I am wanting to make a high-quality neutral mainly, but looking at doing stripping runs - what are the options with this type of still? I have been able to source a couple of metres of 2" copper + smaller sizes. Is there any advantage in fitting a Liebig to this rig or is it just personal preference? I will locate a 50L Keg soon & will set it up with welded ferrules for element/s.

Anybody with any tips, advice or experiences? Feel free to fire away. :ugeek:

Cheers,

Hooky
Hooky

equipment: A 2" Pelican on top of a 25L Boiler with a 1m Liebig

Re: First Build - 2" D R Boka

Postby Camikaze » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:18 pm

Hey mate,

You don't wanna bok for stripping runs, you wanna pot. But you won't need to strip (your wash that is..) for your quality neutral either. Your bok will smash out high quality gear in a single run. It'll be a slow run though with a 2" column. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

No real advantage over a liebig mate, good adjustability ie. can make them pretty long to get your vapours down from orbit. You don't wanna be needing a milk crate to collect your product. ;-) A decent liebig will knock down a fair bit of heat too - good for proofing final product.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Hooky » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Thanks for that Cam. Couldn't be slower than using a Spirits Unlimited 5 Litre jobby :)) :)) :))

Will probably just use a 3/8" output pipe (as long as necessary) & one of Mac's Needle Valves then ;-)
Hooky

Postby googe » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:34 pm

.Welcome mate, sounds like a good plan :handgestures-thumbupleft: I thought ya still had to do strip runs with a bok?. I must walk around here with my eyes closed!! Lol
googe

Postby Camikaze » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:37 pm

I could be wrong mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Never seen the need for a bok so haven't had the pleasure of running one. :teasing-tease:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby Camikaze » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:57 pm

Hooky wrote:Thanks for that Cam. Couldn't be slower than using a Spirits Unlimited 5 Litre jobby :)) :)) :))

Will probably just use a 3/8" output pipe (as long as necessary) & one of Mac's Needle Valves then ;-)

Liebig of sorts would be good for cooling your spirit mate. 'speshially if using gas. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Edit - I do realise you mentioned electrickery in your first post though. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

Postby Phil » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:13 pm

Welcome! I always do strip runs on my 2" Bok and save up for a good spirit run. I would love to hear if someone is getting great results without strip runs however I find it is necessary to do stripping runs if you want the good stuff. You can do strip runs on the boka, they are quicker if you take out all the packaging and ideally you could build the column so that you could shorten it when required. Even more ideal would be a pot still for strip runs in addition to the bok and this is what I'm thinking of building once the $$ allow, would be more flexible and you could make just about anything.

Regarding the Liebig, I think they are a great addition, if you don't build one in now I expect you will want to later.
Phil

equipment: Boka Reflux and some mods in the works.

Postby Camikaze » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:00 pm

I stand corrected. :oops:

thanks for your input there Phil. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

Postby Sam. » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:18 pm

Stripping runs can increase your efficiency by reducing over all effort and run times.

But if you are planning in running 50l of low wines through a boka be prepared for a long long day.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bt1 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Yeh,

Gee if you have to strip do it on a pot then transfer to a Boka...its the time and work practice that kill you in the end.

a goose neck in 4" pot would fly...

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Phil » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:24 pm

30l on my 2" is getting slow, I agree a pot is way to go and can't wait to get one sorted.
Phil

Postby googe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:21 pm

You should do a bubbler Phil, stuff the pot and bokas, you've obviously got the skills to build one :handgestures-thumbupleft: .
googe

Postby Phil » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:50 pm

Kind words googe. Would love a bubbler but don't have the funds to spare for even a pot at the moment so strips with the Bok it is. It's not that slow really until you compare it to the alternative. Happy friday night!!!
Phil

Postby googe » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:59 pm

Fair point regarding cost mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: . There's ways around it but won't thread hog. happy Friday back at ya, wish I could get on the piss but gota work tomorrow :sad: .
googe

Postby Phil » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:17 pm

So what's the build plan Hooky?
Phil

Postby Hooky » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:24 am

:think:
After reading what you guys have to say about it, I'm thinking I might do the DR Boka (& a 2" Pot as well).
Not toooo much more in the way of materials, can clamp both to the same keg (plug & play so to speak).

Question: How is the SS union fitted to the copper pipe on the Pot Still (attaching the Lyne Arm)? I've looked at photo's & looks like a BSP male fitting to slide-in (pipe)? Are these easily available?

Cheers,

Hooky
Hooky

Postby CyBaThUg » Mon May 20, 2013 6:31 pm

need a bit of guidance went out and bought some ss pipe today 1/4 and 1/2 inch for my boka liebig but looking at it dunno if the 1/4inch pipe is too small the wall thickness on both pipes is 1.2mm. I only think this cuz i have a pot still that was bought from a hbs and the inner tube is half inch and the outer is 3/4. But i did a bit of research and i have seen 1/4 inch pipe used on the inner tube aaahhhh dunno :angry-banghead:
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Return to Beginners Questions