Infection in wash. Is it still okay?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Infection in wash. Is it still okay?

Postby adam89 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:37 pm

I just mixed the whole lot together to get my total alcohol %.

I got 5L @ 43%abv. This is a little disappointing and I'm hoping the next run will be better. I will post up my results on Rum run #2 for comparison.

Adam.
adam89

equipment: 2" Pot Still (Mac Built)
4" 5 Plate Modular Copper Bubbler (Mac Built)
50L Boiler on Gas
50L Boiler with 2x2400W element

Postby Jonno » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Spewin, I just had this happen to my wash. Got 160 litres to run tonight I guess so I can get the grains into the bin for garbage collection tomorrow?

Anyone around logan wanna come pick up some wash tonight lol
Jonno

Postby adam89 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:50 pm

Hey Jonno,

Trust the advice here. It is still worth running. I just chucked it into the boiler when i did my next stripping run. The smell didn't carry through and managed to save 5L of rum.

Following the same recipe, i think i got around 13L on my next run so it was about 7/8L just from the second. So it definitely did not ferment properly. It must of got the infection sometime towards the end although it is quite possible the infection was in the fermenter before i started.
adam89

equipment: 2" Pot Still (Mac Built)
4" 5 Plate Modular Copper Bubbler (Mac Built)
50L Boiler on Gas
50L Boiler with 2x2400W element

Postby Jonno » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:24 am

Yeah this is my third gen so it sucks abut but what do ya do. Gotta empty it all into cubes this am into cubes and clean it out before the bin man comes!
Jonno

Infection in wash. Is it still okay?

Postby wedwards » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:37 am

I had something like this happen to a batch of whiskey once. Was always under the impression that white mould isn't particularly dangerous, so I just scraped off the stuff on top and then dumped another batch of yeast on top. It seemed to fire up and fermentation completed. Once I ran it I ditched the contents of the fermenter, but at least it wasn't a total waste, and the taste of the booze never suffered. Weirdest thing was that I had made 2 washes exactly the same way and at the same time - one had this white mould infection but the other was fine.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby Jonno » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:07 pm

So the strip didn't come out smelling bad at all, smelt pretty good actually :teasing-neener: Cleaned up the drum and it all looks brand new!
Jonno

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions