New to stillin' - saying g'day + looking for advice.

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: New to stillin' - saying g'day + looking for advice.

Postby googe » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:15 pm

Ive never used heating even in winter, just a blanket some times, tpw doesn't seem to mind the cold, ive never had a prob with it yet. Yeah about a week or so like you said.
googe

Postby SBB » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:28 pm

Those temps are much lower than what was suggested with the earlier stainless steel T500s.
I just had a look at a manual for the stainless jobs online, even the stainless manual has been changed to give the option of running the still cooler and slower for a better product. None of this information was included in the older manuals.

Noticed the new copper stills can be used in what they call "pot mode", if that is the case you will end up with a much better result buy doing a couple of TPWs then stripping them both, then run the combined spirit from both through with reflux. Water down to 40%abv or below first. Make good cuts on this using plenty of jars and you should come up with a pretty good lot of neutral spirit.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby ddgg22 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:02 pm

Can you Believe I still haven't put it through the still yet? Well tomorrow is the big day. (I've been well busy - although I did brew up 40 litres of beer....)
ddgg22

equipment: turbo 500 with Artisan cooper column running as a reflux still - I'm a beer brewer mostly but have just started out with stillin'. Slightly addicted already.

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions