sugar to carbonate cider

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

sugar to carbonate cider

Postby floating_liquid » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi guys, first post here just joined up and just had a question about a cider im about to bottle.
Half of my bottles are 750Ml bottles which i am just going to be using the standard 2 carbonation drops per bottle, but some of them are 500Ml bottles and i was just wondering if anyone has had experience with carbonating these size bottles and just wondering if maybe i shoule just use 1 drop in the bottle to be safe as this is my first batch i just really dont want any explosions.

thanks
floating_liquid

equipment: still spirits turbo 500

Re: sugar to carbonate cider

Postby floating_liquid » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:15 pm

or perhaps if someone had a measurement of sugar to add that would be great also
floating_liquid

Postby Sam. » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:21 pm

You shouldn't worry about carbonating the cider and charge your boiler with it and give it a run ;-)

Either that or post this in the beer brewing section mate, maybe duck over to the welcome centre and introduce yourself :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Serious answer though, I carbonate my cider the same as beer
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby floating_liquid » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:24 pm

yeah realised after posting it i was in the distilling section haha
floating_liquid

Postby invisigoth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:16 am

if you google around you should be able to find several online priming calculators. if you have a second fermenter to rack to and you know what volume you are going to bottle, then bulk priming is the way to go. then it doesn't matter what size bottles you use. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

sugar to carbonate cider

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:15 am

I use this one, allows you to figure bulk priming rates very easily in imperial or metric
http://webspace.webring.com/people/ms/s ... lator.html
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Hill » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:14 am

You can by little measures but as a guide 3g per 375ml stubby 6g per 700ml stubby. In saying that go really easy with cider, you need to watch your starting and finishing gravity, if the gravity has finished high you won't need much. alot of guys use pet bottles for cider so they can handle a little more pressure just in case.
Hill

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler with 600mm rock section
4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

sugar to carbonate cider

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:33 am

Bulk prime, it's more reliable and then you can use random size bottles like 330ml and 600ml grolsch swing tops.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Hill » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:38 am

yeah and easier than filling each bottle separately :laughing-rolling: If you do bulk prime you need to rack and be careful about infection or introducing a lot of oxygen into the brew.
Hill

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler with 600mm rock section
4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby invisigoth » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:12 am

Hill wrote:yeah and easier than filling each bottle separately :laughing-rolling: If you do bulk prime you need to rack and be careful about infection or introducing a lot of oxygen into the brew.

i've found the easiest way to deal with that is to use fermenters with taps, and gravity feed the transfer from tap to tap with the lid on the second fermenter closed and the minimum amount of water in the lock. the brew fills gently without a lot of aerating but still enough to mix the priming solution into it. :D
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Return to Beginners Questions