First wash down

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

First wash down

Postby kingy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:48 pm

Howdy everyone,Got my pot still going yesterday through the 2 cleaning runs. (Got some looks at the supermarket with 10litres of vinegar and 10kgs sugar yeast and vanilla essence and coffee lol.)

Anyways I've got 2 tpw washes in 2 fermenters one in the fridge at 28 degrees and one ambient currently sitting on 34 degrees.

Sort of a test to see if my fermenting fridge is worth losing my beer storage.

2 weeks time ill be running them both through to get some product and knocking up mrsmacs coffee khalua. And a bourbon essence.

Once I get a few bottles up and feel confident enough with cuts ill start on bourbon from scratch.

I have a few simple questions I'd like to ask tho.

1.Is it ok to store the stripped run in a fermenter for a short time before the spirit run.

2. When stripping do you basically have the water flowing hard and bring the heat up till a little vapor comes out then back off a bit till there is no vapor.

Cheers guys its a great site.
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Re: First wash down

Postby Distillnation » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:55 pm

If you have a glass or stainless container to store your strip in that would be the way to go. Most people won't recommend putting strip in plastic containers.

During a stripping run the aim is to take the alcohol out of your wash so most people will run it as hard as their condenser will allow, so you will have to see how your still works to get the best result.

Good luck with it all. Once you start you won't want to stop. You will probably end up with more alcohol than you know what to do with :-D
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

First wash down

Postby kingy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:12 pm

Thx mate yea I've got a few 20litre kegs ill have to use then.
Looks like I need a few demijohns to. I wonder how much the glass Sherrys are from the bottlo.
Might have to take up sherry for a while lol.

Is there any problem with stripping 50litres of wash the doing a spirit run and making cuts with 375ml beer bottles?
kingy

Postby Linny » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:41 pm

nope
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

First wash down

Postby kingy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Is it ok to sample the wash when checking the gravity or could I end up blind and/or dead?
kingy

Postby Distillnation » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:00 pm

It depends what you are using for the wash. It won't kill you, but depending on what it is made with, you might gag from the taste of it.
Distillnation

Postby SBB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:02 pm

There's nothing in there that's not in the beer you drink. Shouldn't kill you

Edit: noticed your putting this through a 2 inch pot, or at least I think you are. I reckon you'd be better skipping the TPW and getting a rum wash or UJ wash going, gunna turn out much better through a pot.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

First wash down

Postby kingy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:21 pm

Thought so its just the foreshots worry me lol I think there in there and out to get me but it must be the work of the distilling gods.
kingy

Postby SBB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Thats my point, they are in there....anything that's in foreshots and heads is in your beer too........thats why beer will give you a hang over and well crafted spirits wont, With good cuts we remove the hangover. Thats one of many reasons why I harp on to newbies about making good cuts.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Linny » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:00 pm

Dont Worry ,,,, I try to say the same thing but they never get it till they have a good crack at it LOL :laughing-rolling: my mrs has given up trying to be loud on the morning after my benders ,,, i always wake up bright as :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby SBB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:34 pm

Linny I guess we all start out that way, get excited, we want to see alcohol gushing out the condenser, Listen to the guy at the home brew shop who says its a piece of cake. Then ya go to drink it............eewwwwwww :puke-huge: :puke-huge:
I tell ya I made a few shocker runs in the beginning, cuts were not real flash either, wasn't till i slowed down and started to take notice of what i was being told and what i read that I started making anything even half reasonable.
SBB
Lifetime Member

First wash down

Postby kingy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:42 pm

I've brewed beer for about 7 years doing AG and I didn't think it would be a problem but I like tasting the ferment at different stages. I have been known to eat a hop or two as well.

I only went for the tpw wash so I can do a couple stripping runs and a spirit run to get the hang of my still and cuts.(I do plan on doing savage cuts)

Also so I can make a few bottles with essence to see what there like and compare them to the bourbon knock off recipe when I do that or some rum.
kingy

Postby SBB » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:46 pm

Go for it Kingy , :handgestures-thumbupleft: It will be a good learning experience, if you stuff up don't throw anything out, just run it again. You could even double distill the spirit run to see just how clean you can get the end product.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby Sam. » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:48 pm

kingy wrote:Is it ok to sample the wash when checking the gravity or could I end up blind and/or dead?

Only if you drink the whole fermenter :handgestures-thumbupleft: :laughing-rolling:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

First wash down

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:57 pm

Why don't you just storing in jars and glasses? Even stubbies and wine bottles will do.

Raid the recycling bins this week?

:-)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

First wash down

Postby kingy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:37 am

Yes I've been saving wine bottles up. Just got 20 of those 2 litre glass flagons delivered for 40 bux. They are awesome.
Think I might buy a 25 litre Demi to store my stripping runs in.
kingy

Postby Distillnation » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:56 am

Were the flagons from a shop or was it a private sale? That is a damn good price you got them for!
Distillnation

First wash down

Postby kingy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:16 am

Yea mate from here all different sizes good prices.
The 2litre ones are awesome comes with lids to.http://www.esbrewing.com.au/beer-equipment/bottling-capping/bottles.html/zget/p/2
kingy

Postby baldoss » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:42 am

kingy wrote:Yes I've been saving wine bottles up. Just got 20 of those 2 litre glass flagons delivered for 40 bux. They are awesome.
Think I might buy a 25 litre Demi to store my stripping runs in.

Gee that's a good price, where did you get those from if you don't mind sharing?
baldoss

equipment: 2" copper pot still with liebig condenser on 50L ss keg boiler (gas)

First wash down

Postby kingy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:20 pm

When doing a stripping run do you basically have the water going fairly fast and have the heat fairly hot. Then if you see a little vapour back the heat off?
Or is there always going to be a small bit of steam/vapour when stripping?
kingy

Next

Return to Beginners Questions