how long for macerations?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby invisigoth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:50 pm

hi all :razz:

a question for the maceration gurus. for macerations with fruit, does anyone have a guide for how long you should leave it before whatever flavour and character of fruits isn't going to get any better?
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Re: how long for macerations?

Postby googe » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:07 pm

I do 2 weeks for berries.
googe

Postby emptyglass » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:40 pm

Depends on the fruit and depends on the recipie.
Most macerations are for a particular style of drink and most have a recipie that you can use as a guide.
emptyglass

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:44 pm

Hey mate:
Peach: 1 month
Strawberry with sugar: 2 weeks
Banana: 3 days (add maple & vanilla before drinking)
Berries: 1 month
Apple: 1 month...

Actually most stuff one month. It gets better if you filter and wait another week or two after pulling it off and filtering.

This is my favoured drop right now:
http://www.chow.com/recipes/10873-oat-and-honey-vodka
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby invisigoth » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:45 pm

:text-thankyoublue:

i guess my rum'n'raisin is done then (raisins since the 9th of nov) and my peach brandy ( on pulp since the 27st jan) :happy-partydance:
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:49 pm

Invisi: yeah buddy. It actually cleans up even more after you pull the flavour additives out and rest it for another 1-2 weeks. If you have never done banana in neutral then you should. Looks awful for the first week, then filter and store for another week, add vanilla and maple and oh lord you have the world's best shot.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby SBB » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:03 pm

BB what abv you soaking ya bannans at ???? Im thinking of having a crack at that recipe.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:19 pm

SBB wrote:BB what abv you soaking ya bannans at ???? Im thinking of having a crack at that recipe.

50% then soften with a little quality crumbly brown sugar syrup and some vanilla and maple. I'd go a litre and 3 x bananas then 5-7 days later do a quick strain (don't worry about bits at this stage) and add another nana or two for another 5 days. Then do a hard filter and add 1/2 cup sugar syrup and 1/4 cup maple syrup and a tablespoon of vanilla extract.Image
So smooth. So easy to nudge a shot a back. It's messy to get to drinkable but so easy to drink.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby SBB » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:21 am

Thanks mate, might give it a go soon, Just wondering if higher ABV would suck the flavor out of the nanas faster and better. I might try and find out.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Return to Beginners Questions