Dextrose yeast carbon when is it ready

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Dextrose yeast carbon when is it ready

Postby Colin Smith » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:00 am

I made my first wash for my T500.. I used alcotec 48 turbo yeast , carbon and 9 kgs of dextrose ... The airlock has stopped after 4 days.. But the wash is still black .. I'm a total noob and I don't know when I should put in the turbo clear .. Can I do a hydrometer reading or apv reading while black carbon is floating around or what.. On YouTube videos the carbon is sitting on the bottom of the fermenter when it's ready.. Should I wait until this happens before I put in the turbo clear.. Please help me and don't give me too much shit.. I know I sound stupid..
Colin Smith

equipment: T500 novice

Re: Dextrose yeast carbon when is it ready

Postby Linny » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:14 am

Dont sound stupid , we all know you gotta start from somewhere :handgestures-thumbupleft: and we all tend to start at the Local Home Brew Store where they flog this stuff... Problem is that theres no real instructions .... Ive only ever ran 1 turbo which happened to be my first and last so im no expert. I know the packet says 48 hours but there will be still some activity ( is the surface still bubbling ? , have you given it a shake ? ) ... theres no harm in giving it a week as long as its sealed. ive left a UJSM wash before 8 weeks before running it. just try not to open it too much.

Head over to the new guys section, have a read of cuts and double distilling etc etc , I recommend you to run it so you have something to learn with and compare it to LOL. Have a read of the the tried and proven recipes , allbran and TPW washes are great tasting and 1/4 of the price of a 48 hr Turbo . If in doubt ask, i know theres guys here that do run a t500
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby MacStill » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:32 am

Take your hydrometer reading Colin, if it's below 1000 add your clearing agent :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Use this wash as a cleaning/experimental run and treat it as window cleaner, then head into our recipe section for your new wash.

Turbos arent the best and very rarely will a 48 hour yeast ferment out in 48 hours, plus all the carbons, clearing agents etc etc are not needed when doing a simple tomato paste wash (TPW)

With a bit of practice & knowledge gained from these forums you'll be making some great booze in a short time, but there's really no short cuts for quality, unfortunately the HBS will have you thinking it's important to go for quantity while fattening their wallets with your cash.

Most of us here rarely ever go to a HBS these days, we buy most of our gear for fermentation from a super market ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby wynnum1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:04 am

What quantity of water did you use for 9 kg of dextrose and what is the Fg the wash will not clear until fermentation stops .
wynnum1

Return to Beginners Questions