do i need more for conversion?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

do i need more for conversion?

Postby Beam » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:23 pm

hey all, I have a question I want to make my own bourbon/whiskey and I have rang up the stockfeed place to get some grains and that but I don't think they stock malt and I read you need I think malt to convert sugars or can I use corn, barley and wheat to make a bourbon /whiskey or do I need something more to convert sugar? thank you
Beam

equipment: Airstill

Re: do i need more for conversion?

Postby Linny » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:33 pm

Is that a Airstill your using ??? good luck ,,, its probably not going to work... with "genuine" style washes theres alot of protein which can cause puking ,,,, which = REALLY BAD on a airstill , please someone correct me if im wrong, I know a couple of guys that have airstill and all they do is TPW and polish the crap out of it and just use essence's
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Beam » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:38 pm

yes I have airstill and I have done rum washes and rye whiskey and it came out fine with no puking so I will hope it works this time haha
Beam

Postby Linny » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:46 pm

Ok then ,,, as long as you know the risks :handgestures-thumbupleft: what state area are you from ?

traditional bourbon is at least 51% corn, rye and barley malt

theres the UJSM sour mashing way which is a sugar head version , no cooking
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=725

then theres macs
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=6 which uses a sugar head for the alcohol , you have to boil to release the flavour

then theres Mtn Moonshine
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3413 - which is a traditional AG but you can add sugar if needed etc
Linny

Postby Beam » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:47 pm

ok well reading this site here, http://www.whiskeyprof.com/theres-only- ... ipes-yall/ I have just bought cracked corn, whole barley and whole wheat, (as I could get malted barley) so my question is can I still make a nice drink regardless? after reading the above site I should be able to but what do you all think thank you :)
Beam

Postby Linny » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:49 pm

sure can ... you have do generations which is called sour mashing, if you reduce the amount of grain needed. you can add brown sugar, which also brings a caramel taste that creates the alcahol content. I would suggest boiling the first batch to extract the flavour from the grain and sour mashing is where you take a % of the dunder/backset , let it cool add sugar and fill the fermenter back up with water, the yeast should kick back up alive and ferment out the 2nd gen ,,,, and repeat :handgestures-thumbupleft:

your ingredients is more a makers mark style rather than beam ,,,, if thats what your looking for
Linny

Postby Beam » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:16 pm

well to be honest I was looking to make anything at all haha I don't mind to be honest, also I read that it should be malt barley to convert or something but I have whole barley is it still useable?
Beam

Postby Linny » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:47 pm

yeah ,,, goto the library have a read. all what malting is , is growing the grain or seed and stopping it suddenly by drying it out. this creates enzymes mainly beta and Alpha-amylase... which happens on different temps usually 62*C and 74*C , beta breaks down starches in half and alpha breaks those half starches into sucrose and glucose etc , basic sugars for the yeast to feed on,,,

without a malted grain , you cant impart sugars from the grain so you have to add sugar... most people boil the Unmalted grain to create the flavour , then ferment on the grain to impart more flavour.... makes sense ?

Im no expert , im just starting to get my head around it LOL, as the flavours even from a UJSM is better than what any essence could do
Linny

Postby Linny » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:48 pm

If you really want to go traditional , you could try and malt the grain you already have ,,,, but that would be the REAL DEEP END lol
Linny

Postby Linny » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:21 pm

Linny

Postby Beam » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:28 pm