Lowans yeast not working

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Lowans yeast not working

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:34 pm

The sterile beer brewing freak in me cringes and shudders hearing fermenters get nothing more than a garden hose!

But yeah for stilling I do that too. I love the fact you can be rough as guts with the wash because the still forgives all. (Or damn near most!)
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Lowans yeast not working

Postby googe » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:19 pm

Same byb, I was so happy when I started doing this that I didn't have to scrub everything like with beer, I love this hobby :-D
googe

Postby invisigoth » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:37 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:The sterile beer brewing freak in me cringes and shudders hearing fermenters get nothing more than a garden hose!

But yeah for stilling I do that too. I love the fact you can be rough as guts with the wash because the still forgives all. (Or damn near most!)

x_x

i refuse to sacrifice due diligence for the sake of expediency. :twisted:

if i could brew under sterile laboratory conditions i would! :teasing-neener:
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby Colin Smith » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:49 pm

Got home and two out of the four were bubbling away the other two were not .. Do I opened them up and they were giving of gas but the airlocks were not going.. I swapped the lids around and put one wash in a new bucket and lid ,, all sweet .. Now all bubbling away... I can't believe how pitching at 28 to 32 can make such a difference .. Going to pitch at 32 from now on so I can make sure everything is airtight within the hour.. Thanks guys this site is awesome don't know what I would do without it.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Colin Smith

equipment: T500 novice

Postby Sam. » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:13 pm

All good then :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I wouldn't trust a lid and airlock half as far as I could kick it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Put your ear up to the fermenter near the top of the liquid level and you should be able to hear it fizzing if its going ok.

Better yet use some glad wrap over the top with a rubber band or the o-ring from your lid so you can see what's going on ;-)

Don't reckon your temp should have that massive a difference on the start time of the yeast but it will have an effect on how long it takes to finish.

With the lowans you really want it around that 30 degree mark for efficiency :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Lowans yeast not working

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:40 pm

invisigoth wrote:
BackyardBrewer wrote:The sterile beer brewing freak in me cringes and shudders hearing fermenters get nothing more than a garden hose!

x_x

i refuse to sacrifice due diligence for the sake of expediency. :twisted:

if i could brew under sterile laboratory conditions i would! :teasing-neener:

Mate I live in SA home of Coopers Fine Ale... A small company you might have heard of renowned for brewing the best beer in oh ... I don't know ...the world? :)

I've done the "brewery" tour and what I thought I was getting was the grungy wood barrel old world dark and dingy brewery experience...

The place looks like a fucking hospital. It's all computer controlled, hair nets and sterile air locked clean rooms! Heart breaking! It just isn't organic or natural. I agree I want clean and sterile but having worried about my recent cider I was left thinking: how did people manage to brew excellent beer from 1400 - do you think they had sterile lab conditions when the Purity Law came in?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

Hell no! So please tell me why we are so obsessed with lab conditions? I wish I could be more laid back about sterility!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby blond.chap » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:59 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:
Hell no! So please tell me why we are so obsessed with lab conditions? I wish I could be more laid back about sterility!

Sterile, didn't I just meet your son?
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Linny » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:03 pm

and with glad wrap you know its done when the bubble sinks like a Vacuum :-B
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Colin Smith » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:33 pm

Just realised I think I might have fucked up my washes.. Have to admit I was abit drunk at the time ... For a 15 litre wash I put 3 kgs of sugar / 85 grams of tomato paste Legos salt free / tiny tiny bit of citric acid and 85 grams of lowans yeast.. I was meant to put 125 grams of tomato paste and I think 45 grams of yeast... Is it still going to work.. I am thinking to much yeast can't be that bad ,, but maybe it might affect the taste and not enough tomato paste might not have enough nutrients.. Can't believe I made 75 litres and fucked up the recipe .. Lol tosser..
Colin Smith

Lowans yeast not working

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:35 pm

Colin Smith wrote:Just realised I think I might have fucked up my washes.. Have to admit I was abit drunk at the time ... For a 15 litre wash I put 3 kgs of sugar / 85 grams of tomato paste Legos salt free / tiny tiny bit of citric acid and 85 grams of lowans yeast.. I was meant to put 125 grams of tomato paste and I think 45 grams of yeast... Is it still going to work.. I am thinking to much yeast can't be that bad ,, but maybe it might affect the taste and not enough tomato paste might not have enough nutrients.. Can't believe I made 75 litres and fucked up the recipe .. Lol tosser..

Brother that will be fine. Add heat and maybe aerate as others have advised and seal up with a heat pad or hear belt to keep her up around 30° or just wait longer.

Nothing sounds perfect about your mix but I promise you'll get a fine wash out of that.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby invisigoth » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:37 pm

colin: this just goes to prove , you shouldn't drink and brew!

BackyardBrewer wrote:The place looks like a fucking hospital. It's all computer controlled, hair nets and sterile air locked clean rooms! Heart breaking! It just isn't organic or natural.

heh it's a work environment i'm familair with ;-)
remember, tivek and hepa filters are your friend :handgestures-thumbupleft:

BackyardBrewer wrote: I agree I want clean and sterile but having worried about my recent cider I was left thinking: how did people manage to brew excellent beer from 1400 - do you think they had sterile lab conditions when the Purity Law came in?

well unless you've drunk beer from 1400, how do you know it was good, and not just better than the other swill that was available? :twisted:
it's a matter of being progressive. some places in the past may have been lucky and happened to naturally had little problematic micro-organisms floating around due to climate and environment. dosn't mean an open fermenter sitting in your back yard is gonna be quite so lucky :laughing-rolling:

remind me again, what was that french guy pasteur's gig? :-p
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby Sam. » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:44 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:. some places in the past may have been lucky and happened to naturally had little problematic micro-organisms floating around due to climate and environment. dosn't mean an open fermenter sitting in your back yard is gonna be quite so lucky :laughing-rolling:

remind me again, what was that french guy pasteur's gig? :-p

I got my heritage viking spoon :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Colin Smith » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:46 pm

What about cool down pools and collecting natural yeasts through the slightly open windows .... I think they used to do that back in the day ... Heaps of shit would be in there as well ... ( brewing beer )
Colin Smith

Lowans yeast not working

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:49 pm

I just love the purity law was in place before women had the vote and slavery was abolished. So basically beer purity was more important than pretty much any social rights at that point in time: sure own another human but don't mess with my beer!

Yeah I'm seriously a sterilising junkie when it comes to homebrew and that is how I started with my washes but I am way looooser 12 months in, because no matter how rough it is the still will clean and polish up any crap wash...but with beer or cider the wash is what you drink with no more refining. So yeah, sterilise your beer real good.

And as for local conditions Belgian Ales is a perfect example. Check out the Beer Hunter doco - they don't clean or even move cobwebs in the brew house because its considered essential to proper natural yeast fermentation.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Sam. » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:53 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:real good.

And as for local conditions Belgian Ales is a perfect example. Check out the Beer Hunter doco - they don't clean or even move cobwebs in the brew house because its considered essential to proper natural yeast fermentation.

Good reason why I reckon all those belgian beers have an "infected" taste. It is :handgestures-thumbupleft:

They reckon that one valley has all the good wild yeast :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah:

Anyway my viking reference was from apparently long before yeast was known the viking families had their own family wooden spoon to make beer with. Little did they know the spoon had the wild yeast on it :dance:

Either way :text-offtopic:

Happy with your washes now colin?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Colin Smith » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:08 pm

This is my first time.. So they are bubbling away... Happy with that .. When they read 990 they are ready to use right... They were at 1070 before the yeast .... Just want to start distilling .. Brought my t500 couple of weeks ago ... Made a turbo yeast wash up but the smell made me sick ... I found this site and poured the turbo shit down the drain ... So here I am trying some Tpw ... Hopefully ready in 2 to 3 weeks .? And I can use my still... :))
Colin Smith

Postby MacStill » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:11 pm

you shoulda ran the turbo even if only for experience and a cleaning run, but anyway you'll be happy with your TPW once you get the hang of running the T500 :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Lowans yeast not working

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi Colin, you don't say where you are but temps down our way are easily conducive to a wash being done in 5-7 days tops. 8-9 if you are patient.

It won't be three weeks before you fire up;)

PS: just add what state you're in to your profile... And yes every time I say "what state are you in?" All my fellow mods say "Pissed! That's what state I'm in!" So that gag had been done ready - plenty
:-))
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Colin Smith » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:03 am

That's cool I'm in perth.. I grew up in Sa moved here 3 years back.. 26 degrees is what my beer is brewing at in my spare room.... So with 85 grams of lowans / 3 kgs of sugar in a 15 litre wash a week ya think...
:o
Colin Smith

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions