Lots of questions before i even start

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby new to it all » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:00 am

I have spent the last 4 days and i mean ALL day researching the forum and i think i know the answers to the questions i am about to ask, but just want to clarify, so bear with me :-B

I am using rainwater do i need to add anything additional to this for a wash?

Is using bakers yeast ( dry active) ok ? Not going to town so cant get to the brew shop. And am i correct in adding te yeast around 32 deg c ?

Can someone point me to a basic wash, i have a cpl here but they vary greatly, looking for a 15 ltr wash.

TIA :)
new to it all

equipment: Just starting out, no equipt yet :(

Re: Lots of questions before i even start

Postby Brendan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:06 am

The issue when people talk about the water they use, is one of hardness (ie. minerals in tap water). The softer the water (void of hard minerals), the better for our purposes for fermentation. Rainwater is perfect, it's been distilled by nature.

Bakers yeast is fine. Most distilling/brewing/bakers yeasts are all the same strain and produce ethanol. It's when brewing beer, or distilling whiskies that you start to look at specialty yeasts which give desired flavour profiles to the distillate.

I recommend TPW (Tomato Paste Wash) for a neutral, Weet-Bix wash for a vodka, and check out Mac's Rum and Knock off bourbon for those drinks :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Edit: You were after a basic wash...TPW is the answer that everyone will give ;-)
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Bushy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:13 am

Hey ntia,
:text-+1: on what Brendan said.
Interesting name choice mate. In 12 months though you'll have to change it to Old Hand or somethin. Doesn't matter, some ppl just change names all the time.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:25 am

I don't,someone with fat fingers does that for me :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: Anywho,welcome to the forum and you won't go past a TPW,easy cheap and fool proof :handgestures-thumbupleft:
:think: hmmm sounds like someone I know :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby new to it all » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:34 am

TPW it is. Cant thank everyone enough for the advice. If its foolproof its the one for me :) :happy-partydance:
new to it all

equipment: Just starting out, no equipt yet :(

Postby Bushy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:19 am

TPW is a great neutral. IMO don't get too caught up with letting it "clear" Once the ferment stops and yr hydrometer says around 990, its ready. Let it settle for a couple of days and run it. It will still be red in colour but this is a cleared wash. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Sam. » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:40 pm

32 is pretty good to pitch bakers yeast keep it at this temp and it will ferment out nice and fast.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Beginners Questions