Bubbling out the top

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Bubbling out the top

Postby cuz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:41 pm

MacStill wrote:This might sound a bit weird.

But if you closed the output and the temp dropped it could mean you need to throw a bit more heat up its arse....

more heat = more reflux = cooler column temp = stable temps..... just dont push it too far :laughing-rolling:

Thanks Mac.

So I did like you said and the temp dropped from 88 to 79.9 in a flash.
I put a little more heat into it, till I can hear it boiling clearly and start collecting again... slowly. A few drops per sec.
The temp sits at 81 for a couple of mins and then I sees vapour coming out the relief hole at the top of the still! I panic and turn the heat down.

Am I being too fussy? I mean, alcohol is still coming out, slowly, but still coming. Thats not a bad thing is it??
cuz

equipment: Boka noobie

Postby JayD » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:45 pm

Once you learn how to run it, it will be like second nature to you, mine runs as constant as, temp is stable, you can hear it in reflux trickling back down into the column after it equalises in about 45 mins you start to collect your 4's n heads, chuck them...once it starts to drop in % then you can either time it 15 mins in reflux then take a bottle of good stuff or watch the temp slowly drop then take a bottle, this will bring the % back up to it starts to run out the tails... you'll get the hang of it in no time. :handgestures-thumbupleft: i forgot about it until Mac mentioned this = this....
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby JayD » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:49 pm

turn the temp down a little,unti the vapour stops coming out of the relief hole... remember this = that Mac put forward
JayD

Postby cuz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:55 pm

JayD wrote:turn the temp down a little,unti the vapour stops coming out of the relief hole... remember this = that Mac put forward

Done.
Does the temp rise as you collect?

I'm 8 hours in now and the temp has crept to 95 deg C
Am I in hearts? Tails?? Still heads???

How much should I expect to collect from a 45 litre TPW???

~x( ~x( ~x( ~x( ~x( ~x( ~x( ~x( ~x( ~x( ~x(
cuz

Postby JayD » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:06 pm

What does it smell like? what does it taste like? what does it feel like? smells or tastes like dirty socks,wet dog/cardboard or feels a little greasy your into tails... if you think your into tails put into reflux for 30 mins and check the smells n taste again but clean your taste cup or you'll have left over remnant smell and taste...
JayD

Postby cuz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:12 pm

Well to be honest, it is smelling sweet!????
Smells alot smoother than earlier. Maybe I've just smelled too much and cannot tell the difference!! Haha... Smells better than the early jars tho

Yield??
cuz

Postby JayD » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:17 pm

What did your wash start at%? cause it will influence the end amount...we generally get around 3 to 4 lts but its not set in concrete...amounts change with higher % in wash.
JayD

Postby cuz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Final wash was just on 990

Still collecting ATM, had another spike and was chuffing vapour out the top again at 97 deg.
Backed the gas off and its ok again
cuz

Postby JayD » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:44 pm

generaly a rise in temp signals the beginning tails...we dont even use a thermometer anymore...all done by smell and taste...then its aired for 24 hrs then smell n taste again for our final cuts. dont be greedy if you have a couple of lts of distillate, run the rest down to 20% then shut her off and keep the tails for your next run...
JayD

Postby JayD » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:00 pm

This may help you ? ...Kiwis guide to cuts this for a pot still but it relates to all...
JayD

Postby cuz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:54 pm

JayD wrote:generaly a rise in temp signals the beginning tails...we dont even use a thermometer anymore...all done by smell and taste...then its aired for 24 hrs then smell n taste again for our final cuts. dont be greedy if you have a couple of lts of distillate, run the rest down to 20% then shut her off and keep the tails for your next run...

Temp is steady at 96.3 now. Has been for the better side of an hour.
Collection rate has dropped off, back to about 500ml ish per hour.
I think my nose is done for the day. My lovely wife reckons she can smell the difference between the heads/hearts/tails but buggered if I can.

I'm pushing the 5.5 litre mark for spirit collected now.
After I took out 750ml of fores I measured the next few jars at 85% ABV and then it went up to the low 90's for a couple of litres.
I THINK!!! Its been a long day...

I have numbered and covered the jars with paper towel for now, I'll get some more ABV% for you tomorrow.

Thank you JayD for your help and patience today. Couldn't have done it without you :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
cuz

Postby JayD » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:56 pm

Your welcome...thanx to Macs :handgestures-thumbupleft: input as well...
JayD

Postby cuz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:58 pm

JayD wrote:Your welcome...thanx to Macs :handgestures-thumbupleft: input as well...

Oops geez... THANKS HEAPS MAC !!!!
cuz

Postby googe » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:12 pm

Well done mate, dedication :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Well done to you too jayd for helping him along :handgestures-thumbupleft: and Mac. That's why this site is great :D
googe

Postby emptyglass » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:34 pm

You choked!
The guys are on to it mate, the still was choking on its own juice. The breather hole is like a seat belt, its there, but you hope you don't need it. But you did learn, and probably showed a few other guys the risk you run when there is not one there.
I'll just say boom.

You can tell when its choking, you can hear some gurgling around the plate area. That extra liquid can stop the vapor for a moment, till the vapor pressure builds and well, you know the rest.

Set your flame low, coolant at maximum and creep the heat up till you can hear it sounding like its got too much fluid at the top, and back the heat down a notch. Get it running in equalibrium and note your settings. Like mac said, the reflux can change the temps, and create flow on effects. Its just a case of playing with it. Once you start to collect, the temp will swing. It can spike if there is a big change in conditions inside. Softly, softly, catchy monkey.

You are getting more output rate than I did out of it, that radiator/pump makes a difference for sure.

Well done on the first bit of hooch out of it. I bet it tastes good :D
emptyglass

Postby cuz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:55 pm

That breather hole is great!! I did like you said and rolled up a bit of cotton rag and stuffed it in there, still loose tho.
I went to the loo, came out and noticed straight away it was gone!!! Panic!!! Whats wrong!! Haha...

What I don't get tho, is why the temp rises, when I turn the output up, ever so slightly.
Is it cause I'm clearing out more product, so not as much is 'falling' back over the plates and therefore not cooling the column??

But the main thing is... wait for it... My hooch tastes fan-fucken-tastic!!!!

Thanks to all again for the help, much appreciated
cuz

Postby tipsy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:53 pm

cuz wrote:What I don't get tho, is why the temp rises, when I turn the output up, ever so slightly.
Is it cause I'm clearing out more product, so not as much is 'falling' back over the plates and therefore not cooling the column??

Thats what got me on my first run, open her up and it heats up close it back down and it equalises and cools back down.

Thats how I worked out my collection speed, run it as fast as I can without the temp rising sometimes stopping to equalise again near the end of the run.
tipsy

equipment: 4" Mac 4 with packed section and gin basket on a 50lt boiler with 2 2400w FSD elements.

Postby JayD » Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:06 pm

Cuz reported back to us post run with a summation of his run, I feel this needs to read in conjunction with this thread as there was a continuation of small errors in his initial run. By reading both threads it may stop your first experience from being very stressful and become a whole heap of fun. :handgestures-thumbupleft: Remember Macs... this = that example

Reflux Still Build Up
JayD

Postby cuz » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:47 am

JayD wrote:Cuz reported back to us post run with a summation of his run, I feel this needs to read in conjunction with this thread as there was a continuation of small errors in his initial run. By reading both threads it may stop your first experience from being very stressful and become a whole heap of fun. :handgestures-thumbupleft: Remember Macs... this = that example

Reflux Still Build Up

Thanks JayD, there sure was a few mistakes. Lucky to have any kind of positive at all to write about.

I have been reading up again, flat out, while my next TPW fermentes and I will lower the initial amout of wash in the boiler as well as use some broken marbles as boiling chips to smooth out the boil.

Thanks for the input guys and keep the advice coming.
cuz

Postby SBB » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:06 am

Cuz small pieces of copper pipe such as very small off cuts of 1/2 inch in the boiler will do the same job and may even help with sulphide removal.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

PreviousNext

Return to Beginners Questions