First Run T500 TPW

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

First Run T500 TPW

Postby Colin Smith » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:23 pm

Finally cranked up the T500 the other night ... I couldn't keep the water flow over 300 mls a litre due to pieces of plastic left in the water outlet tee piece from when they drill out the holes for it... Shut it down pulled it apart scraped it out and started her back up from then on all good.. I kept the outlet water temp inbetween 55 and 56 the whole way through.. I only got 2.4 litres after forshots due to the fuck up at the start lost about 500 mls because the temp was going up and wasted a heap of spirt... I noticed the first 4 200ml cuts took 5 mins to fill and then it went up roughly 40 secs every cut then on.. My last cuts were 10 and 11 mins... In all happy besides the poor quality control from stillspirts it also was leaking spirts out of the main part where the tee piece fits on.. But all good now... I tested my second heads cut and it was 94 percent ... Now a question I have my aired out hearts in a bottle going to mix with mineral water to 40 percent , with the heads and tails do I water them down to 40 percent or put them in my next wash at 94 ... Thanks everyone for the good help... And yeah sorry was the temps all good I was running because keeping it at 55 degrees at the tail end I was using a litre a minute... :happy-partydance:
Colin Smith

equipment: T500 novice

First Run T500 TPW

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:26 pm

Now a question I have my aired out hearts in a bottle going to mix with mineral water to 40 percent , with the heads and tails do I water them down to 40 percent or put them in my next wash at 94 ... Thanks everyone for the good help

I wouldn't bother if they are going into a 25l wash, that will dilute the heads enough. I'd only dilute if I was doing a full heads & tails run with no wash to water it down.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: First Run T500 TPW

Postby blond.chap » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Hey mate,

Congrats on your first run, it's pretty exciting to finally get some product. For the heads and tails, just throw them straight in the boiler with your next wash. The thing about diluting to 40% is only when you're using entirely low wines. The important thing is that the overall % alcohol in the boiler is below 40%.

It's probably worth spending some time sussing out that leak before your next run, bit of a safety concern otherwise. As a last resort, you can paste it up with flour paste (just flour and water) if it happens again.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Colin Smith » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:39 pm

image.jpg
Cheers I will try that... Cheeky buggers charging all that money for a tube with a copper coil in it... :O)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colin Smith

equipment: T500 novice

Postby blond.chap » Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:42 pm

Yeah that's pretty crappy, I know some guys here have made some modifications to the T500s to remove the plastic components in the vapour path. Though you might prefer to get your money back if it's doing that on the first run. The pure distilling rig gets some good reviews if you want to replace it with something similar.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Return to Beginners Questions