Still sizing for 10-15L boiler

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby Dominator » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:41 pm

So I am thinking of starting off with a smaller setup to see how I go then if I really get into it I will build myself a modular bubbler on a 50L boiler.

My trade allows me basically unlimited access to 1/4 to 3/4 copper tube and some access up to 1&1/4 tube. I am quite proficient at silver soldering and have an oxy kit, so building should be fairly straight forward.

I want to still rum and some neutrals for the wife. The plan is to build a changeable head on a 10-15L boiler. A pot still with shotgun PC for my rum an for stripping and a Boka for the neutrals. I will probably just run the boiler on a gas burner simply for the cheap easy setup.

For washes I am thinking either 10L washes or 20-30L washes run separately.

My questions are:
1. I know in this game bigger = better and I would love to keep run times down so for a 15L boiler with a Boka, would 2 inch be too big?
For the pot still I will probably make it 1.5 in with a 1 in shotgun with maybe 3 or 4 x 3/8 product lines inside it, whatever I can fit and maybe 500mm long. What do you think?

And the solder I am planing on using is us copper/silver/red phosphorus. I know the copper and silver are ok but does any one know weather I should be avoiding the phosphorus?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Dominator » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:58 pm

This is the MSDS for the solder.
http://chemdata.lupinsys.com/getdoc/41178
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby Dominator » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:07 pm

Never mind the solder question. I found my answer in the workshop tips section. ;)
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Re: Still sizing for 10-15L boiler

Postby bt1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:38 pm

Howdy Dom,

Appreciate your not looking at large but consider a 30lt SS keg. It weighs stuff all, doesn't have to be filled, when you go to a 50lt or larger you can use it as storage, has the same lip for an easy flange as any keg, plenty to be had...dam nice pieces of kit imho.

For Bokas large is good...cos they ain't fast...you could learn Latin running a Boka over 6 months :D

1.5" for a pot would be fine pots go hard especially for stripping.. which could assist the Boka i.e. strip heaps of runs use Boka only once...
If you want to maximise a pot throughput look at the swan pot design...killa for speed, especially considering your keen on a shotgun condenser.

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1819&hilit=swan

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Dominator » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:34 pm

Thanks BT. Part of the reason I have looked into going smaller is I am having trouble finding kegs for sale near me and i figured a 15L stick pot would r easier to find. I will keep my eyes open though.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby SBB » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:33 pm

Your going to have a really hard time trying to make any sort of meaningful cuts.....Ill leave it there.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:05 pm

Dominator wrote:Thanks BT. Part of the reason I have looked into going smaller is I am having trouble finding kegs for sale near me and i figured a 15L stick pot would r easier to find. I will keep my eyes open though.

Try a add in the wanted section of these forums, I'd be surprised if nobody got back to you ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Dominator » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:11 pm

SBB wrote:Your going to have a really hard time trying to make any sort of meaningful cuts.....Ill leave it there.

I was thinking if people can make an OK alcohol from an air still doing 4L runs then it can only be better doing 10L runs. Even if it is only for a little while until I can build a bigger boiler.

Thanks MacStill, once I am on my feet, back at work and ready to build my still I'll chuck an add up in the wanted section.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby invisigoth » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:53 pm

Dominator wrote:I was thinking if people can make an OK alcohol from an air still doing 4L runs then it can only be better doing 10L runs. Even if it is only for a little while until I can build a bigger boiler.

when i was doing rum i only did 10/15l ferments because that gave me the kinda yield i was happy with. not everyone wants to make large quantities. a single bottle lasts me months. i just collected smaller cuts. for something like real brandies with no additional sugar, a larger volume is required due to the low sugar content of most fruits. i think it comes down to horses for courses. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Return to Beginners Questions