Two elements on a pot still strip run

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Two elements on a pot still strip run

Postby Mfkerg » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:17 pm

Just have a question regarding running my pot still for the first time.

I have a 50l keg with 2 2400w elements
Post still is 2" and 40cm high with Liebig being 800 long.

Should I keep both element running past heat up for a strip run or would it be best to turn one off as I might push too hard for no benefit.

Thanks for any advice.
Mfkerg

equipment: Pot still and 2" Boka

Re: Two elements on a pot still strip run

Postby JayD » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:25 pm

If you are only doing a stripping run, run it as hard as your pc will knocked down the vapour. I would bring the still to temp then slowly turn the heat up until you do see some vapour then back it off slightly to stop the vapour from by passing the pc, dont forget to increase your water flow as this will help keep the vapour at bay. Remember it takes a short period of time for the still to react to heat settings.
J
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Brendan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:27 pm

For a strip run, I reckon push as hard as your condenser can handle...you're not trying to separate any fractions, just get them out.

Depending on your wash too, you may not want to push a foamy wash too hard with a full boiler, but otherwise go for gold :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Jonno » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:45 pm

i have two elements also. same pot setup. i heat up on two and just switch one off once boil reached
Jonno

Postby Jonno » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:32 pm

I should add that i have tried running with the two but my wash has puked like mad and my liebig was being overpowered. I shoved some copper up the guts of the liebig and was still getting overpowered. I dont think i'd even be able to run at 3600 watt without being overpowered :laughing-rolling:
Jonno

Return to Beginners Questions