AAHHH help me pleaseee

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

AAHHH help me pleaseee

Postby Pot belly shine » Thu May 02, 2013 7:04 am

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: okay so lets get this out of the way...... no matter how much research ive done and time ive put in reading im human and u messed up :violence-smack: i never did my og readings so i have no reference point to go from for sg..... so ill just tell you what ive done and where im at. i started with 28 pounds of sugar, 3 - 6 us gal water jugs. i boiled hot water and dissolved the 28 lbs of sugar amongst the 3 containers filled them with cold water, added 2lbs of cornmeal to each jug and put in 4 tbs of yeast... its been a little over 2 weeks and my sg reading is 1.050. so my question is when should i touch it off or at what sg reading should i wait till? sorry for such a bonehead move. Like the old man once told me, "To be old and wise, one must be young and foolish" guess he nailed that one :angry-banghead: lol

thanks fells
Pot belly shine

equipment: 15.5 keg pot still, condenser undecided (reflux boka, or a worm w/thumper ) 7.5 reflux pot still nixion offset or boka?

Re: AAHHH help me pleaseee

Postby DaveZ » Thu May 02, 2013 7:52 am

Was the water cooled before you added the yeast? Has it been bubbling at all over the two weeks?
DaveZ

equipment: 5 plate FSD bubbler with gin basket and packed rock section on a 50L, 4800W keg

Postby Camikaze » Thu May 02, 2013 8:22 am

Hey mate,

Chuck in another batch of yeast and give it a good stir, see if it kicks off after a few hours. Then I'd test ph levels just to be sure.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

EDIT - make a yeast bomb and pitch that.
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby googe » Thu May 02, 2013 8:48 am

What temps have you got there?. Try what cam said. Og/sg = original gravity, starting gravity, specific gravity . Fg= final gravity/ finished gravity.
googe

Postby Pot belly shine » Thu May 02, 2013 9:03 am

sorry guys for got to mention. its been bubbling hard for the past two weeks. still cloudy looking but still has a steady bubble to her. should i put in more yeast and stir to get good air in it even though its been bubbling since i started it off. after about an hour of first pitching yeast she took off. yes it was also cooled down before yeast was pitched :D
Pot belly shine

equipment: 15.5 keg pot still, condenser undecided (reflux boka, or a worm w/thumper ) 7.5 reflux pot still nixion offset or boka?

Postby JayD » Thu May 02, 2013 9:08 am

It sounds like it is in the last phase of fermenting, if like you say its still bubbling away only slowly leave it and check every couple of days...
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

AAHHH help me pleaseee

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu May 02, 2013 9:09 am

Patience brother, patience.

Just wait that sucker out. If you've got a visible rolling ferment there is no need to be worrying about gravity yet - she ain't done yet.

Also do me a huge favour - use metric: it's been the standard in Oz since the late 60's:-) I still can't visualise pounds or gallons. Give me kilos and litres.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby googe » Thu May 02, 2013 9:11 am

That helps :laughing-rolling: I wouldn't put.more yeast in. Havnt done a.grain one put on guessing there would be un fermentables in there giving a not so good reading?. I'd wait till it's pretty much stopped bubbling and have a taste. Others will know more.
googe

Postby Pot belly shine » Thu May 02, 2013 9:16 am

okay so if i still see that shes fermenting and its bubbling wait till thats all stopped?

sorry backyard its 12.70 kilos of sugar, 22.71 litter fermenting jugs, .91 kilos of cornmeal, and 4 table spoons of yeast per jug.
Pot belly shine

Postby JayD » Thu May 02, 2013 9:18 am

Pot belly shine wrote:okay so if i still see that shes fermenting and its bubbling wait till thats all stopped?

yep that's about it...bubbles no troubles...once it stops, run that sucker!
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Hill » Thu May 02, 2013 10:03 am

Did you use 12.7kg sugar per 21L batch or 4.2L in each.
Hill

equipment: 5 Plate Bubbler with 600mm rock section
4800w 50l boiler
120l Herms brewery
fermenting Chamber

Postby Pot belly shine » Thu May 02, 2013 10:13 am

thanks a ton fellas. i used 4.2 in each and a grand total of 12.7kg
Pot belly shine

Postby Bushy » Thu May 02, 2013 10:51 am

Was that a ton or tonne of thanx there Potbelly. Backyard will only accept metric gratitude. ;-)
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby Pot belly shine » Thu May 02, 2013 10:57 am

lol damn autocorrect!! it was of course tonne :D
Pot belly shine

Postby Bushy » Thu May 02, 2013 11:02 am

Sorry mate. I was only joking.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu May 02, 2013 11:12 am

Bushy wrote:Was that a ton or tonne of thanx there Potbelly. Backyard will only accept metric gratitude. ;-)

You got that right brother!

You can relax PBS. This run is not in need of help in the opinion of the experts. It is in need of patience. :-D

Keep it warm and watch for the activity to drop right off or reduce significantly.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Pot belly shine » Sat May 04, 2013 12:27 am

Okay thanks a lot you fells have been a great help. i still have lots of activity going on. i just cant help but want to fire it up. but can you blame me this hobby has been a bast for me as i love tinkering around, trying this trying that, building this and that :razz: The main concern i had was because i saw peoples posts about how long it ferments for and well im double that time. of course i didnt factor in temps, turbo yeast to non turbo etc. but thank you once again :text-thankyoublue:
Pot belly shine

Return to Beginners Questions