Galvanized Steel for storage?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Galvanized Steel for storage?

Postby Moon Man » Thu May 02, 2013 12:49 pm

Hi guys,
I'm prity new to this stuff, I was wondering if it is safe to store neutral spirit anywhere between 40% to 90% in a galvanized steel container, I've done a bit of research and there seems to be no definitive answer.
Any other suggestions for safe cheap(~$100 for 80L) storage, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Moon Man

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still

Re: Galvanized Steel for storage?

Postby blond.chap » Thu May 02, 2013 12:56 pm

Hi mate, my understanding is that galvanised steel isn't safe to use for storage (something along the lines of extracting zinc into the spirit).

You're best bet will probably be a couple of used stainless steel 50L kegs. You can buy them legally from Keg king http://www.kegking.com.au/Kegs.html, or check gumtree in your area. Then if you grab a couple of 2" end plates and some triclamps (PM Macstill), you can seal them up.

Should be just about in your budget.

Feel free to introduce yourself in the welcome centre, good to know who we're talking to.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby JayD » Thu May 02, 2013 12:59 pm

Moon Man wrote:Hi guys,
I'm prity new to this stuff, I was wondering if it is safe to store neutral spirit anywhere between 40% to 90% in a galvanized steel container, I've done a bit of research and there seems to be no definitive answer.
Any other suggestions for safe cheap(~$100 for 80L) storage, would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

... :scared-eek: Glass, Stainless Steel and Oak barrells are your safest options. :handgestures-thumbupleft: now a Galvanised shed to house your gear...now your talking. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Moon Man » Thu May 02, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks guys great help! Seems like a really good environment for the learning distiller!
:text-thankyoublue:
Moon Man

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still

Postby JayD » Thu May 02, 2013 1:22 pm

Moon Man wrote:Thanks guys great help! Seems like a really good environment for the learning distiller!
:text-thankyoublue:

Thanx mate, it would be good if you could say G'Day in our Welcome Center and tell us little about yourself, like your address, phone number...lol's just joking !! :teasing-tease: glad to have you onboard...
J
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Urrazeb » Thu May 02, 2013 7:20 pm

Lol jd your a cunny funt
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Return to Beginners Questions