New to stilling advice on stills

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

New to stilling advice on stills

Postby cozza9999 » Fri May 03, 2013 7:36 am

Hey everyone thanks for taking ur time to read this. I want to start stilling my own whiskies, scouches and other spirits. I was wondering if the super reflux or t500 is any good. have heard different reviews on both. i was thinking bout a pot still but dont no where to buy on the gold coast. If u have any ideas please let me no. thanks again corey
cozza9999

equipment: New to stilling

Re: New to stilling advice on stills

Postby Urrazeb » Fri May 03, 2013 7:54 am

Hi Corey. Pots best for whiskey and other flavorful delights, Mac Still can post a DIY pot kit, not sure how much though being accross the sand pit, plenty of members use the home brew shop stills and that satisfies them with good results.

Depends if you want to make a real authentic whiskey or a whiskey flavoured vodka, I distill as natural as possible and thats the path I chose so pot it is for me for now :) enjoy the learning curve;-)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Brendan » Fri May 03, 2013 8:01 am

Hi cozzaa, welcome to the forum :handgestures-thumbupleft:

When you learn to navigate this site, you will find a lot of information to answer all your questions. Try clicking on 'Forum' on the left, or 'Board Index' at the top...then go into the 'Newbies Corner'...there is great info in there and particularly 'Searching the site' is a custom google search engine which will help find all the write ups on the T500.

I haven't used one myself, all reports seem to suggest that they are 'Okay' requiring slight modification, but you can do a lot better for the money they're worth.

For a pot still, there are many great designs available on this site through 'MacStill' and 'WineGlass', which are easily posted and at a fraction of the price of some junk from a home brew shop.

Good luck in your distilling journey :smile:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Jonno » Fri May 03, 2013 8:07 am

hey mate,

Im down the highway at Logan and happy to give you awhand with things if your interested. just shoot of a pm.
Jonno

Postby Camikaze » Fri May 03, 2013 8:07 am

Gday Corey,
:text-+1: to what the guys have already said. Welcome to the forum mate.
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby JayD » Fri May 03, 2013 8:28 am

Welcome to the forum... :handgestures-thumbupleft: a pot still is very versatile rig, once you acquire a little knowledge and it will still be of use to you once you move on to bigger and better things. ;-)
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Gas on » Fri May 03, 2013 11:14 am

welcome cozza :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Gas on

equipment: baked beans & rum

arfa 5 star bubbler

Postby crow » Fri May 03, 2013 1:08 pm

welcome to our little circle of knowledge cozza
:text-+1: on directing you to the newbies corner, many of your questions will be answered in a few min of reading (even ones you didn't know you were going to ask ) :icon-lol: :icon-lol: :icon-lol:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Beginners Questions