Need advice for TPW

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Need advice for TPW

Postby Moon Man » Mon May 06, 2013 10:48 am

Hey guys,
I did my first TPW yesterday and I'm not completely sure I did it right as the return wasn't the best..
I followed the tried and proven recipe for 25L TPW, the only issue i see is i started the wash at 34 degrees instead of 30 degrees however.. left for about 8 days did a spirit run (not sure if should do stripping run?) and received 750ml of good 93% the rest 1.25L is prity bad tasting and smells a little of tomato..
The still stabilised at 78.7 degrees from which i took 150ml of foreshots and 79 to 80 degrees was the main run, taking tails up to 80.5 degrees.

I'm still not sure what a stripping run entails, whether what I just did is prity much a stripping run and what to do with it.
Sorry for such newbiness guys!
Moon Man

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still

Re: Need advice for TPW

Postby googe » Mon May 06, 2013 10:58 am

Did you do cuts?. Did you run it hard or slow?. Tpw will carry over flavor unless you have a bubbler . It smells strong after first stilled but the tom smell does decrease a bit with airing, mine does anyway. Stripping run is running your still fast, stripping all the alcohol out (low wines). Collect enough low wines to do a spirit run, slowish.
googe

Need advice for TPW

Postby Dominator » Mon May 06, 2013 11:05 am

What type of still do you have?

A stripping run is basically full power to strip the alcohol from your wash.
A spirit run is slower to help separate your fractions and get a better product.

From the reading I have done the TPW works better from a stripping run first then a spirit run. I sure some more experienced people will also offer their advice.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Need advice for TPW

Postby Sam. » Mon May 06, 2013 11:07 am

What were your starting and final gravity readings on your wash?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: Need advice for TPW

Postby Moon Man » Mon May 06, 2013 11:20 am

I have a 'Pure Distilling' Reflux still, I ran it slow not sure how to or if it does run fast..
I've done cuts in 250ml and left to air for 24 hours, only 3 of those 8 cuts are 'nice' to drink.
Didn't measure starting gravity however final was ~.980
So if I were to strip it I would run the still until roughly 20% ABV?
Moon Man

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still

Need advice for TPW

Postby Sam. » Mon May 06, 2013 11:27 am

Well it finished fermenting.

Yeah run it down till there is bugger all left but bit hard to do a real stripping run with the reflux unless you detune it and I can't remember if the one you have is the one you shouldn't mess with. Someone else will be able to tell you.

Double distilling will give a better result or do a couple of batches then run them together under 40% for more yield
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Beginners Questions