Where do you guys get your grains?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Where do you guys get your grains?

Postby karrotbear » Mon May 06, 2013 5:31 pm

Hey All,

So I have been meaning to put down MacStill's Bourbon recipe for awhile now, just not sure where to get the grains (wheat and barely) and corn? Just a basic feed shop? What does the barely and wheat look like when you buy it etc?
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Re: Where do you guys get your grains?

Postby Jonno » Mon May 06, 2013 5:35 pm

Whole wheat and whole barley and cracked maize(corn) is what I use. Get it from any produce shop. Comes in 20 kg bags. In macs bourbon thread ther a suggestion to use malted barley. Ya get that from the brew shop.

Just walk into a produce shop and have a look, or even easier just ask the front :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Jonno

Postby Andy » Mon May 06, 2013 5:36 pm

I went down to Better Pets and Garden. They usually don't stock the grains (they have some), but will order some in if u ask
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Bushy » Mon May 06, 2013 5:38 pm

Yeah. They're not really a stock feed. Any stock feed joint can sort you out.
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Postby 1 2many » Mon May 06, 2013 5:45 pm

karrotbear wrote:Hey All,

So I have been meaning to put down MacStill's Bourbon recipe for awhile now, just not sure where to get the grains (wheat and barely) and corn? Just a basic feed shop? What does the barely and wheat look like when you buy it etc?

Hi Karrotbear good question but it is handy if we know what region your from so that a member closest to you that knows can give you the heads up .Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Brendan » Mon May 06, 2013 6:08 pm

:text-imwithstupid: But if you don't want to narrow down a location, there are the rare gem of good home brew shops that stock a selection of grain for the all-grain beer guys...and some buy their grains online through Craft Brewer or Grain and Grape :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Kravin » Mon May 06, 2013 7:38 pm

Online Stores :
http://brewadelaide.com/retail/index.ph ... 8dda64e5c1
http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/index.php?cPath=1_39_44
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au/shop/default.asp?CID=21
http://gryphonbrewing.com.au/index.php? ... mt1036hsg6
http://shop.beerbelly.com.au/ingredient ... grain.html
http://www.esbrewing.com.au/grain.html
https://daveshomebrew.com.au/index.php? ... &Itemid=99

Better still, if you have a local brewery nearby, ask them if you can get a bag with their next order.
Something like a 25Kg bag of Joe White Pale malt will set you back about $40-$60.
for English type malts like Golden promise or Maris otter you'll be looking upwards of $75
All depending on who the maltster is and the quality\style of malt you're after.
Kravin

equipment: No Still Yet

Postby karrotbear » Mon May 06, 2013 8:03 pm

1 2many wrote:Hi Karrotbear good question but it is handy if we know what region your from so that a member closest to you that knows can give you the heads up .Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sorry Guys :)

I'm currently in Toowoomba, but will be moving to the sunny coast next year, so if someone can point me in the right direction there, and potentially just point out what a 'good' price is per kg etc?
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Postby Kravin » Mon May 06, 2013 8:54 pm

karrotbear wrote:
1 2many wrote:Hi Karrotbear good question but it is handy if we know what region your from so that a member closest to you that knows can give you the heads up .Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Sorry Guys :)

I'm currently in Toowoomba, but will be moving to the sunny coast next year, so if someone can point me in the right direction there, and potentially just point out what a 'good' price is per kg etc?

http://www.localdirectories.com.au/Suns ... plies/list

You'll be wanting Base malts as they have all the diastatic power you need.
Pale malt has ample diastatic power for what you'll need it for.

There are many different maltsters (brands) of pale malt available but all you'll need is the cheapest.
Joe White Pale Malt will do it and that's around $4.20 - $4.80 per kilo
Kravin

Postby invisigoth » Mon May 06, 2013 9:48 pm

i got 3kg of cracked corn and 2kg of wheat for i think $7 all up from the local produce store. i don't remember what i paid for my malt, but i got that from the local hbs. mac had a post using 1kg of caramalt instead of 1l (so more grain). a quick look on a malt equivalent chart had carahell as equivalent so that's what i used.
i asked at the produce store if their grains had any preservatives (i do want it to ferment after all) and they told me they only stock pesticide free organic grain. :smile:
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby db1979 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:58 pm

Yeah I asked the same thing when I bought mine and they said that if it's fit for animal consumption it won't have preservatives in it. Good question to ask them when you buy it regardless.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Kravin » Mon May 06, 2013 10:11 pm

Not sure what effect crystal malts would have in distilling (im only a n00b). I suspect they add some colour and flavour to a whisk(e)y, rum etc.
In beer they are for colour, flavour, mouthfeel and head retention, they generally have no diastatic power at all and therefore don't need to be mashed.
I'm pretty sure that most of the sugars in crystal malt are unfermentable unless you crush it into flour to really get inside the grain so other than some colour and flavour, im not sure what it's purpose would be in distilling.

Of course, Happy to be corrected\educated if that's not the case.
Kravin

Postby kiwikeg » Tue May 07, 2013 8:44 am

[quote="Kravin"]Not sure what effect crystal malts would have in distilling (im only a n00b). I suspect they add some colour and flavour to a whisk(e)y, rum etc end quote.

Used crystal malt before it did f-all for flavor, or any thing else.
I am now running pale malt, pale wheat and kibbled maize(cracked corn)
The pale malt/wheat bump flavors and yeild up nicely but increase likelyhood of pukes.
Give the crystal malts a miss and reach straight for the pale malts :handgestures-thumbupleft:
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby wolbi74 » Tue May 07, 2013 11:30 am

I get my cracked corn and wheat from PetBarn, Barley from homebrew shop
wolbi74

equipment: Pot Still

Return to Beginners Questions