Ok elighten me o wise ones, what is this bastard?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Re: Ok elighten me o wise ones, what is this bastard?

Postby SBB » Wed May 22, 2013 9:00 pm

I think your best bet with a still of that size is to strip the TPW wash first.....(see "Stripping" in newbies corner)
In the long run its probably going to save you a lot of rooting around, you should end up with a cleaner product, it will be easier to make cuts and you should end up with a bigger hearts cut.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Distillnation » Wed May 22, 2013 10:50 pm

Agreed with SBB.

You might not get the best neutral from a TPW run through a pot still, which is where a stripping run would come in handy.

It may take a bit longer, but the result will be worth it. If you want a quality product, there is no substitute. Go the extra mile.

Just think, the extra time spent doing the stripping runs and then spirit run will just be in place of clearing/filtering a turbo. So it all evens out in the end.
Distillnation

equipment: L.M Frankenstill + 50L (weldless) electric boiler

Postby numbnuts » Thu May 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas...

I have read about the stripping run, but this little thing I got has an automatic heat control, therefore I cant crank it up. I do have access to a hbs 25 lt reflux which I might be able to go use for an arvo. I'm guessing this would be a better option then for the TPW? I'm still quite happy to play around with this little gadget, but unsure how to get the best out of it.

If I were to just do the one run taking good cuts in the small still, would I benefit in letting it sit in carbon for a while to get rid of any residual taste? Bearing in mind, most of this neutral with be also sitting in barrel chips for a couple of weeks minimum too before flavouring.

Appreciate the advice :handgestures-thumbupleft:
numbnuts

equipment: Hand me down 5lt POT still, just starting out.... noob alert! Thanks for ya help

Postby bt1 » Thu May 23, 2013 5:44 pm

Hello Numb,

would really appreciate the plumbing side of the still in phots so can work out what can be done here short term.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby SBB » Thu May 23, 2013 6:33 pm

It wont matter that you cant crank it up for a neutral wash such as TPW, just let it go as fast as it can. Your still going to end up with a better product stripping first. In the long run your better off forgetting about trying to make neutral with that still, My advise would be to put down a rum wash or UJSM, strip that then do a spirit run....your going to end up with something a lot better to drink than pot stilled neutral.
You will want to oak it for a min of a few weeks first though to really enjoy it.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Boomgate » Thu May 23, 2013 10:28 pm

Heya MrNumbnuts (if I may call you that)...

Looks like you have been given and have taken onboard some great advice already.... The fact that you are going over a TPW vs a turbo yeast is a good sign... because it means you can get rid of all that expensive homebrew shop stuff... most of it is a rippoff... you get better product without it and for a fraction the price..

However there is one product i can recommend, and that is the gobblers bourbon chips.... since you want to make a bourbon this stuff is great... its just oak chips from a barrell... One packet will last bloody ages... you can even dry them and re-use them a few times... It will give you a very believable bourbon, certainly better than a lot of the cheaper bourbons out there...
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby Linny » Fri May 24, 2013 9:08 am

:text-+1: I've tasted these from a air still Lol. He had to sit it for 2 months but it tasted great
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby numbnuts » Sat May 25, 2013 10:03 am

bt1 wrote:Hello Numb,

would really appreciate the plumbing side of the still in phots so can work out what can be done here short term.

cheers
bt1

Will get you some pics tonight, thanks bt1
numbnuts

equipment: Hand me down 5lt POT still, just starting out.... noob alert! Thanks for ya help

Postby numbnuts » Sat May 25, 2013 10:05 am

Boomgate wrote:Heya MrNumbnuts (if I may call you that)...

Looks like you have been given and have taken onboard some great advice already.... The fact that you are going over a TPW vs a turbo yeast is a good sign... because it means you can get rid of all that expensive homebrew shop stuff... most of it is a rippoff... you get better product without it and for a fraction the price..

However there is one product i can recommend, and that is the gobblers bourbon chips.... since you want to make a bourbon this stuff is great... its just oak chips from a barrell... One packet will last bloody ages... you can even dry them and re-use them a few times... It will give you a very believable bourbon, certainly better than a lot of the cheaper bourbons out there...

I have just got some of these in the post and put them to soak last night, cant wait to taste in a few weeks :handgestures-thumbupleft:
numbnuts

Postby Boomgate » Sat May 25, 2013 12:35 pm

numbnuts wrote:
Boomgate wrote:Heya MrNumbnuts (if I may call you that)...

I have just got some of these in the post and put them to soak last night, cant wait to taste in a few weeks :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You should have a little tipple as it ages to get the idea of where you like the flavour best...
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Previous

Return to Beginners Questions