How much lees do you leave in the fermenter?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

How much lees do you leave in the fermenter?

Postby Dominator » Wed May 15, 2013 9:00 am

So I have got a still, a keg, some FSD elements are on the way so it wont be long till I am putting my first rum wash down. All the reading I have been doing has got me pretty confident with the whole process, the only thing I am not sure on is how much lees people leave in their fermenter? Is it just a matter of siphoning off until you get sediment then stop, or do you just use a racking cane and leave 1-2cm in the bottom?
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Re: How much lees do you leave in the fermenter?

Postby Cane Toad » Wed May 15, 2013 9:39 am

I normally just pump out the wash until I get to the sediment in the bottom,then I pour a couple of litres of water in so the whole lot is covered,just to stop the yeast from dying and you are all done :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Use 25% of the dunder from the run to invert/dissolve the sugar for the next generation,wait till cool and dump it back into the fermenter,should kick off within a few hours :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Just a word of advise though,when finished doing your rums,TPW or whatever,don't pour the less out on the lawn,I had a dead patch there for about 6 months,not worth the nagging :snooty:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Jonno » Wed May 15, 2013 10:39 am

Haha Ive got that problem with my lawn at the moment :laughing-rolling:

where about do you guys drain to?
Jonno

Postby Brendan » Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 am

:text-+1: to what Cupcake said.

I use a siphon hose, and I keep it siphoning as far as I can go without picking up any sediment or yeast cake...I want the cleanest wash possible going into the boiler.

I just got a fuel siphon hose from Repco. It's 19mm and has the metal end with the marble in it...you just pump it in the wash until it keeps itself going :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Urrazeb » Wed May 15, 2013 12:06 pm

Yea same as CC here too! :-)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby bt1 » Wed May 15, 2013 12:12 pm

Howdy,

no guru on rums but If i read mac's post on rums right the volume of lees reused impacts on flavour of next gen....that may just be about what everyone's posting here but I've traditionally left a fair bit in fermenter for next wash...where's a certified rum head when ya need one!

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Cane Toad » Wed May 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Now I just put it in a bucket and pour it along the fence,almost as good as Krovar :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby invisigoth » Wed May 15, 2013 3:31 pm

bt1 wrote:no guru on rums but If i read mac's post on rums right the volume of lees reused impacts on flavour of next gen....

i was under the impression it was the backset that effected the flavour of the next gen rather than the lees. :shifty:

for the bko i've been using a sterilised bucket to scoop out the fermenter. the grain bed acts as a filter for the yeast residue so i don't puck up much if any. for rum i just tap off the wash. i have a sediment trap in the end of the tap, so all the lees are below that level. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Return to Beginners Questions