First Strip Run

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

First Strip Run

Postby adam89 » Sat May 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Hello,

I'm getting ready to get into my first strip run. I've stripped 45L of McRum and 45L of Plum brandy ready to go and have enough stubbies to do my cuts. I have read the newbies guide to cuts, read as much as I can on this forum however I've still got a few questions that I'm hoping can be cleared up.

- How much would I expect to keep from a 45L low wines charge @40%?
- How fast would I run my still? Is a slow trickle out of the Parrot slow enough or do I slow it down to drips?
- How long does a typical spirit run take? Currently I strip 45L in just over 3hours.

Any tips or advice that might help me getting ready to do my first spirit run will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Adam.
adam89

equipment: 2" Pot Still (Mac Built)
4" 5 Plate Modular Copper Bubbler (Mac Built)
50L Boiler on Gas
50L Boiler with 2x2400W element

Re: First Strip Run

Postby markus » Sun May 19, 2013 6:56 am

I'm not the most experienced bloke here mate I'm still a noob,
So someone correct me if I'm wrong :wtf:
- depending on your cuts you could collect anywhere from 8 to 15 litres of hearts

- I collect fast drips for a spirit run. If it's a stream I slow it down a little.
The slower the better

- run could take up to 6 or 8 hours maybe longer. All depends how fast you collect

Hope this helps

Cheers markus
markus

equipment: 4" FSD on keg
All copper pot still

Postby SBB » Sun May 19, 2013 9:59 am

Can really call my self a pot stiller having mostly played with bubblers and reflux stills , but heres what I think for what its worth.
adam89 wrote: How much would I expect to keep from a 45L low wines charge @40%?

Id work on about 1/3 of what ever you end up with after cuts as a safe margin, but could be wrong, your tongue and taste bud will be the final decision makers there. If you haven't had to do cuts on a spirit run before I'm thinking jars rather than stubbies will give better airing and let you smell better the product easier.

markus wrote:I collect fast drips for a spirit run. If it's a stream I slow it down a little.
The slower the better

Id say the slower the better for foreshots and heads removal, slower means you should get better separation of the fractions of the wash. once your into what you think are hearts get it up to a trickle or a bit better. your gunna have a very long day if you stick with the drip thing right through hearts. Pot take off speed is a much debated thing , some say a pencil lead stream....some say faster. Some aim for a twist in the product stream as a rough guide. In short slower for fores and heads removal, faster for hearts.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Sam. » Sun May 19, 2013 8:11 pm

SBB wrote:Can really call my self a pot stiller having mostly played with bubblers and reflux stills , but heres what I think for what its worth.
adam89 wrote: How much would I expect to keep from a 45L low wines charge @40%?

Id work on about 1/3 of what ever you end up with after cuts as a safe margin, but could be wrong, your tongue and taste bud will be the final decision makers there. If you haven't had to do cuts on a spirit run before I'm thinking jars rather than stubbies will give better airing and let you smell better the product easier.

:text-+1: For my pot I always end up with near a third :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby MacStill » Sun May 19, 2013 8:16 pm

Strip from a 30 ish litre ferment used to yield around 9 litres of 40ish % for me when I used a pot still :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You can pretty much half that amount for a spirit run, but a good rule of thumb is 1 kg of sugar will give you around 1 litre of drinking stock @ 40% ABV ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby adam89 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:52 am

Cheers for the responses.

SBB wrote: If you haven't had to do cuts on a spirit run before I'm thinking jars rather than stubbies will give better airing and let you smell better the product easier.

I'm hopefully visiting a catering place today to pick up a few jars. The thing is I've got 4 cartons of clean empty stubbies that can be used. I'm thinking if I pick up 50 300ml or 500ml jars I can use them for the middle of the run and start and end with stubbies.

Getting dragged out with SWMBO today so it might have to wait till tomorrow or I'll be having a late night running the still. Or maybe I can run the rum tonight, brandy tomorrow morning and tomorrow night do another strip. Hmmm, I think someone wont be too happy with me if I tried that.
adam89

50L Boiler on Gas

Postby Brendan » Mon May 20, 2013 9:58 am

Just get her a block of chocolate, and hire out the entire series of Sex & The City...that's good around here for about 48hrs ;-)
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby adam89 » Thu May 23, 2013 9:57 pm

So I did my first spirit run yesterday. I filled up 44 stubbies, about 14L (I haven't got around to getting jars yet) and gave my first attempt at doing my cuts.

I have ended up with 7L @ ~65% for what I thought were hearts and 7L to go back to feints. Now from what I have read online I was expecting around 1/3 to be kept as hearts. So I may have been a little generous with my cuts, mainly heads. I started collecting from bottle 10 and stopped at bottle 32.

Maybe I should drink this and see what the headache is like?

Any thoughts and advice here would be appreciated.
adam89

50L Boiler on Gas

Re: First Spirit Run

Postby adam89 » Thu May 23, 2013 10:10 pm

Ahhh,

I just noticed that I wrote strip run. I'm sure that you who are reading have gathered what I meant.

EDIT: FIRST SPIRIT RUN
adam89

50L Boiler on Gas

Postby adam89 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Well I've drank a fair bit of this now. No headaches whatsoever. No bad feeling when drinking, during or after. I am happy with how this tastes and a few people have complimented it as well. I'm impressed with what my simple pot can produce. It is quite a nice feeling being complimented for a product you have made from start to finish. I am sure that after I do a few more spirit runs I will change my idea of "good" but at the moment I am more than happy with my first final product.

Adam
adam89

50L Boiler on Gas

Postby Bushy » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:08 am

Well you fucked up yr thread title but congratulations on yr first spirit run. My first run i kept too much of the heads. Shit would give you a three day hangover. But this made me look towards a bubbler so it's not all bad. Then i used my first spirit run as a sacrificial when i finished me bubbler.
The proceeds of second pot spirit run are what i am drinkin at the moment. Bloody lovely

Have fun

Bushy
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Return to Beginners Questions