how long to toast oak at each temperature?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

how long to toast oak at each temperature?

Postby Beam » Mon May 20, 2013 4:27 pm

I have a question regarding toasting oak, I haven't done this before so need some help, im going to be using a guide with the chart of with the different degrees giving off different flavours if you know which chart I mean, well the question is how long in the oven at each temperature>? as I obviously don't want to burn the house down haha

cheers
Beam

equipment: Airstill

Re: how long to toast oak at each temperature?

Postby SBB » Mon May 20, 2013 7:22 pm

I make my sticks 6 inches long and about 1/2 inch square ,small enough to fit down the neck of a demijohn, Splitting them with a carving knife or tomahawk works well. Wrap a dozen or so in aluminum foil. Put a few pin holes in the foil....they seem to take a lot longer to go brown if you dont.
As a rough guide a couple of hours at 200 should give you a heavy toast, I just keep checking from time to time. I like mine dark chocolate brown right through. They snap in half pretty easy once toasted so its easy to check. Best to experiment with different toast levels until you find what you want.
Not saying thats the only way, just how I do mine.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Return to Beginners Questions