ez filter cartridge

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

ez filter cartridge

Postby marbaker » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:09 am

hi everone on aussie home distiller i am marbaker from england and new to distilling. and the question i have is, i have an ez filter system,i have read you can reuse carbon if you boil it for 15 min then let it dry the bake it in the oven for 2 - 3 hours,can it be done with the ez carbon filters the round 4 inch cartridge ones, many thanks marbaker.
marbaker

Re: ez filter cartridge

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:06 am

Hi Marbaker and welcome,

While I cant really answer your question, because I dont use carbon filters of any kind, I'm sure Spud1700 will more than likely be able to answer you when he gets in this evening.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby marbaker » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:27 am

if you dont use carbon filters what do you use Mcstill cheers
marbaker

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:18 pm

marbaker wrote:if you dont use carbon filters what do you use Mcstill cheers

My liver :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Once you know what your doing you wont need that carbon filter, but for the moment until you learn about cuts, heads, tails etc etc keep using your carbon filter.

I know some disagree with me, but IMHO if your practicing good stilling procedures they really are not required.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby bundy » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:35 pm

hi and welcome, i have ez filter which i dont use, i found it to be expensive at $7 a cartrige and i dont think you can use it more than once.i would put through 2 batches but no more.i use a z fillter which is easy to use and not as dirty. i am waiting for spud1700 to put his ss plans on the forum when he gets time. so just hang on and some one will come up with one thats not store bought and work.
Bundy
bundy

equipment: Double reducer reflux still
pot still
both on 25lt electric boiler

Postby reknaw » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:42 pm

I have'nt used them but a mate at work used to use them, as Bundy said expensive little suckers :) I don't know if you could pull them apart, take out the carbon, boil it, put it in the oven then put it back in the filter and reseal it. I am pretty sure they are sealed pretty well from memory? (only saw one once) I've never heard of anyone doing it before but you could try and let us know how you go?

A stainless filter with loose carbon works out a lot cheaper as an alternative, I'll post some pics on how to make one when I get home.

You should be able to get carbon for less than $14.00 a kg and it'll last a long time if you want to try something different.
reknaw

Postby marbaker » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:49 pm

hi spud and bundy thanks a lot for the reply just to explain the filter system i got it the one you screw the carbon cartridge under the top bucket with a seal at each end of the carbon cartridge,then you put the bucket with the carbon on and place it on top of another bucket,then you put upto 9 -10 litres of alcohol in the top one so it filters through.i just thought after you use the carbon you could just biol them let them dry and bake them for 2 - 3 hours in the oven so you coud reuse them many...? thanks marbaker
marbaker

Postby reknaw » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:06 pm

Yep, you boil it for about 15 min, stir occassionally, then change water, boil again, into a baking tray, bake on 140c for 3 - 4 hours. That is for loose carbon, with those filters they are encased in plastic? You would need to get the carbon out first which I'm not sure you could do.

Can you pull the cartridge apart and get the carbon out?
reknaw

Postby marbaker » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:48 am

hi spud can you post those pictures of you filter setup for me so i can have a idea on how to get one made thanks mate marbaker
marbaker

Postby SBB » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:47 am

There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding these filters. Ive also got an EZ fillter. The filter its self attaches to a bucket....the filter that Im looking at doesnt appear to be coated in anything or encased in anything.....the whole thing is made of compressed charcoal from what I see anyway.

The plastic bits you see are only an end cap and threaded rod that are used to secure the filter in position....the rest is solid charcoal. Dunno if this helps :?
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby bundy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:06 am

i have the inline type,but same cartridge of compressed carbon, try spuds idea and lets know how you go.maybe boiling the cartridge will make it crumble,you can but try.
Bundy
bundy

equipment: Double reducer reflux still
pot still
both on 25lt electric boiler

Postby marbaker » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:26 am

thanks SBB yes thats the filter i have. can you boil them filters the same as you can with the loose carbon,so you reuse them, or would you now spud 1700 and mcstill thanks marbaker
marbaker

Postby MacStill » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:34 am

I've never heard anyone mention anything about being able to reuse them, so cant really advise.

I'll have a crack at explaining Spuds setup or a similar version of it anyway.

Say you get about a meter (3ft) of 2 inch pipe, copper or stainless and put a cap on one end, drill a small hole in the cap that a screw can be wound in.

Now you put your carbon in, and your hooch, and slowly adjust the screw to your required drip rate...... cheap, easy and it will work.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby marbaker » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:37 am

thanks bundy mate. iv boiled them for half an hour in a pan,they did not break up they seem fine.im just going to wait for them to dry then i will bake them in the oven for 2 - 3 hours i will let you know how i get on later thanks marbaker
marbaker

Postby reknaw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:07 pm

Hey SBB, Thanks for that, the buckets \ filter is the same as my mates, his was encased in plastic though not just top and bottom. Can you get differnt filters for them? I haven't had bugger all to do with them. I will give my mate a ring who has one, let us know how you go with the oven,is the plastic going to be a probelm?

I'll be home on Friday, I will post pics of mine then when I get them off other computer.

Cheers
reknaw

Postby maheel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:17 pm

i would also consider pumping hot water through them prior to boiling to wash out as best you can

seems a lot of drama on those little filters ?

you would be better making the copper pipe filter suggested and buying bulk carbon, years ago i had a filter sort of like what is described

you can also dump carbon in 5L bottles and keep shaking it every day, not as effective but is a good pre-treater for some spirt
maheel

Postby reknaw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:21 pm

maheel wrote:i would also consider pumping hot water through them prior to boiling to wash out as best you can

seems a lot of drama on those little filters ?

you would be better making the copper pipe filter suggested and buying bulk carbon, years ago i had a filter sort of like what is described

you can also dump carbon in 5L bottles and keep shaking it every day, not as effective but is a good pre-treater for some spirt

Good point about a lot of drama on the little filters, a lot of mucking around - just my thoughts.
reknaw

Postby jimbob » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:50 pm

do you own an airstill

I've owned one of them but the inline ez filter, i never tried cleaning the cartridge totally but boiling it seemed to make em last longer, to make it stretch even further id but an older cartridge (used up then boiled - gently, they can crack) in and run the new spirit through that first then finish it of with a new one. My personal thoughts are that you could regenerate the outer inner part but it may not ever get back to 100% just my opinion.

using that system id run about 15-20 liters through each pair so one filter would have about a 30-40 liter (@40%) life span. in my little airstill the quality was not quite good enough to enjoy without filtering.

i agree though with the other guys, eventually i abandoned it in favor of loose carbon that i would simple soak if the flavor was too bad. plus loose does regenerate after boiling baking etc. macs idea is probably a bit more thorough.
jimbob

equipment: still spirits air still... and starting a new build for a 2-3 inch boka...

Re: ez filter cartridge - warning

Postby Wineleader » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:04 pm

marbaker wrote:thanks bundy mate. iv boiled them for half an hour in a pan,they did not break up they seem fine.im just going to wait for them to dry then i will bake them in the oven for 2 - 3 hours i will let you know how i get on later thanks marbaker

Boiling the cartridge was fine for an hour in a rolling boil.
In the past I heated the Cartridge in the oven at 150 deg c for a couple of hours and then used it to provide filtered water.
I’m on tank water with lots of trees so you get a lot of muck in the water.

Anyway I though I would be smart and speed up the oven process and took it to 220 c.

WARNING “don’t try it” the cartridge melted at the 1/2 hour point and smoked out the kitchen.
Thankfully the misses was out..... opened the windows, took about two hours to clear.

That’s it I’m going to take the docs recommendations going forward.
Wineleader

equipment: T500 and matching pot still

Postby warramungas » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:57 pm

Way to revive an old thread!
:))
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column