First still test run!?

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

First still test run!?

Postby turbo_eater » Tue May 28, 2013 12:37 pm

Hey guys!

I finally picked up my first still on the weekend, it is basically a 25 Litre twin element boiler and reflux condenser, much the same as a Turbo 500 setup just a few years older I believe. I did a quick test run with it lastnight just to see how everything runs just using water instead of my wash...and I noticed a pretty large amount of steam escaping where the boiler connects to the condenser...Im just wondering if there is any silicone seals or some kind of seal I could use/ make to sit in between the 2 pieces? I notice the newer models have a few clips tgat fasten the 2 pieces together, mine has more of a 1 piece clamp much the same as a large paint tin uses? I may be able to crimp it more to tighten down more etc but just thought I would ask. Thanks guys, Al.
turbo_eater

equipment: 25L Reflux.

Re: First still test run!?

Postby baldoss » Tue May 28, 2013 1:20 pm

Depending on how aggressive the leak is you can just patch it up with flour paste (4 parts water, 3 parts flour) every time, which will get you through the run but to be honest if it's as big a leak as it sounds you're going to want to get it fixed. Can you post a picture and point out on it where the leak is? Also do you mean the leak is where the boiler connects to the base of the reflux column or where the condensor column joins the rest of the still?
baldoss

equipment: 2" copper pot still with liebig condenser on 50L ss keg boiler (gas)

Postby turbo_eater » Tue May 28, 2013 1:27 pm

Yeah mate I will grap some photo's tonight of it. And its where the boiler connects to the bottom of the condenser sorry! Seems to only leak in the one section and I notice there is a tiny silicone seal in there but it may be due for replacing.
turbo_eater

Postby SBB » Tue May 28, 2013 1:41 pm

You might still be able to buy a new seal for it .
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby turbo_eater » Tue May 28, 2013 2:28 pm

Hopefully:) It must just be that the seal has shrunk over time..
I will go visit the brew shop that originally sold it and see what they say.
turbo_eater

Postby C2H6O » Tue May 28, 2013 2:29 pm

Im very new at this game so i'm not sure if this will help but i have a cork gasket between my condenser and boiler (i hope this material is ok) this may work for what you need.. I also had a steam leak at the top of my condenser which i wrapped plumbers tape (PTFE) around, worked a treat..
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby turbo_eater » Tue May 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Thanks mate! The cork is a good idea, did yours come with the gasket or did you have to source it?
turbo_eater

Postby baldoss » Tue May 28, 2013 3:00 pm

I'm not aware of a clear stance taken by this forum one way or the other re: using cork or silicone gaskets (I think most people prefer silicone but don't quote me on that). The bit of advice I recall is that if you're going to be using cork, make sure it's not cork that is held together with really shitty/cheap glue as some believe the hot vapors from your boil, specifically the real aggressive shit in the fores, will make this glue leech out into your product.

I use cork in mine and don't notice any issues with it so maybe some other members can weigh in.
baldoss

equipment: 2" copper pot still with liebig condenser on 50L ss keg boiler (gas)

Postby C2H6O » Tue May 28, 2013 3:03 pm

No stress, glad i could help (it was a long shot.) Mine is a home made job where the condenser is bolted onto a keg. You can buy the cork gasket sheets at most auto shops or ebay, you just need to cut out the right size you need.
Cork is what i use and i have read in other places that its a good material but it needs to be natural cork and not bonded.. Would be keen to hear what other people think of cork too..
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby MacStill » Tue May 28, 2013 3:37 pm

Cork sucks :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby turbo_eater » Tue May 28, 2013 4:39 pm

Leaks suck! Im told the brew shop stocks these silicone seals so I will go visit them on Thursday and hopefully run my first ever TPW on the weekend fingers crossed!
turbo_eater

Return to Beginners Questions