Containers for making cuts

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Postby Grandvewe » Wed May 29, 2013 3:09 pm

Hey Gang, thanks for your help so far, I really appreciate it.
My next equipment purchase is now the glass containers for the Cuts. I want something that has proper measurements printed on it so im almost convinced im going to get the 400ml Beaker from Lab Direct (http://www.labdirect.com.au/storecategory132.aspx)

I chose this design for its marked measurements and also it has a wide brim (as some have recommended) and ill put cloth over the top to let them breath.

My question in general is about quantity of beakers and best size...

First question: My boiler is 50L max so that would mean a 40L wash. From what I have tried to research this would (assuming all works well) result in about a total of 6L of heads, hearts and Tails combined?????

I have seen some people on this forum only using 12X 600ml jars for the entire run.
I have also read from "Kiwistiller's Novice Guide to Cuts and Fractions" that 20 containers seems best.

I would prefer to have detailed cuts so im leaning towards buying 20 beakers.
So with this in mind 6L/20 = 300ml
So to be safe I guess I would buy 20X 400ml beakers???

I have also seen people use Lab directs "Flasks" anyone care to convince me to use these over a beaker design?
http://www.labdirect.com.au/storecategory131.aspx

IM basically asking for verification from u experts that my theory is correct before I buy. :text-thankyoublue:

(Apology's if this question has been asked a million times, I have been looking for the answer on the forum)
Grandvewe

equipment: FSD Pot still off a 50L Keg with gin basket

Re: Whiskey Business

Postby Brendan » Wed May 29, 2013 3:20 pm

While I'm probably not the best person to answer your questions about number of cut jars, I do have both the flasks and beakers from lab direct. They are both great quality, so you won't be wasting your money there.

I know everyone recommends the wider brim jars, but I actually air the middle of my run in the 500ml Erlenmeyer flasks...I do leave it for a few days which might make up for slower evaporation, but I prefer making the cuts and in particular nosing with the narrow opening. I find it concentrates the smell to that point where you are nosing it (much like the Famed scotch glasses with a wider body and narrow top.

In terms of the beakers, I haven't really used them as the brim is just too wide for me...at a guess the opening is close to 100mm, and too wide for me to leave 95%ABV ethanol sitting around in...

Most that talk about jars use the Mason style jar as far as I know.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Grandvewe » Wed May 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Brendan - That is a really good point about having a narrow neck to concentrate the aroma (or bouquet as the wino's say). U may have convinced me there...
So do you use 20 of these 500ml Erlenmeyer flasks?

And what do u use your beakers for since u have both?
Grandvewe

Postby Linny » Wed May 29, 2013 3:31 pm

i thought you needed a wide openening for the smell to "breathe" and thats why we have wide scotch glasses and wine glasses .... ignore me im just thinkin out loud
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Whiskey Business

Postby wedwards » Wed May 29, 2013 3:38 pm

I have a couple dozen boxes of half pint mason jars plus some pint sized and a box of the next size up as well. I very quickly learnt that the smaller ones were only necessary while I was learning to make cuts. They were expensive too but will last forever. The lids have an insert in then for the seal - I ditch that insert, and put a tissue in top then put the screw thing on and it airs really well. Got them from ozfarmer from memory.
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby JayD » Wed May 29, 2013 3:44 pm

We use a glass similar the one in your avatar but a lot smaller and it's got just enough room to stick your nose in and smell and I air in open mouthed jars covered with paper towel and held in place with an elastic band for 24hrs some times longer.

This is what we use...

nose.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby Grandvewe » Wed May 29, 2013 3:47 pm

Linny - This link shows the highly regarded Whiskey glass design and is endorsed by the Scotch Whiskey Association which does slightly resemble the design of the Erlenmeyer Flasks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencairn_whisky_glass
Grandvewe

Postby Brendan » Wed May 29, 2013 5:18 pm

Yep that's them, the Glencairn glass...think they're about $60 for a set of 4, but they say you're not treating your Scotch right if it's not being drunk out of one of those babies :naughty:

No I don't use 20 of the Erlenmeyer flasks...I only have 6 of the 500ml ones and a couple of 1L ones (and a big 3L bad boy for yeast starters ;-) )

I just use the 6 x 500ml ones in the perceived 'middle' of the run, and have other jars that I use in the definite heads and tails...more a point of using what you have, and I'm not buying 20 as I don't need them :handgestures-thumbupleft: But as mentioned, I find them perfect for nosing so that's the way I go...but they prob do take a day or two more to air out. Commercially you might want wider ones to air it out quicker, if it actually works that way? :think:

If it were me, I'd put your money for 20 x Erlenmeyer flasks into more parts on your still...and air your cuts out in jam jars and/or spirit bottles until you make a bit of profit :handgestures-thumbupleft: Things like airing glassware really are at the bottom of the priority list...you need great distilling equipment! :D
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Whiskey Business

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed May 29, 2013 8:39 pm

Buddy you are about to spend a BUCKET of cash you don't need to. Why wouldn't you use bog standard jam or pasta jars x 100 and just mark the sides with the mls? Tip 275mls of water in and mark the jar with texta. Tip water into next jar, mark & repeat.

I don't think jar width or volume plays much part in cuts. It will for aging and storing but for this stage of your run why spend $ at start up on lab flasks? Your recycling bins and the neighbours will give you all the jars you need... Save some bucks in the early stage if gig want my advice - that expense could be reduced to ZERO in your start up phase and save you dollars for ingredients and parts and fermenters etc.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby JayD » Wed May 29, 2013 8:45 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Buddy you are about to spend a BUCKET of cash you don't need to. Why wouldn't you use bog standard jam or pasta jars x 100 and just mark the sides with the mls? Tip 275mls of water in and mark the jar with texta. Tip water into next jar, mark & repeat.

I don't think jar width or volume plays much part in cuts. It will for aging and storing but for this stage of your run why spend $ at start up on lab flasks? Your recycling bins and the neighbours will give you all the jars you need... Save some bucks in the early stage if gig want my advice - that expense could be reduced to ZERO in your start up phase and save you dollars for ingredients and parts and fermenters etc.

all true byb...my nose glass 20c from an op shop I walked by, works just as good as an expensive one, managing funds wisely is a must in the begining...prudent purchases in order of need not want. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed May 29, 2013 8:49 pm

Heh I hear you jay - if I bought everything I WANT vs what I NEED I would be broke in a week!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Containers for making cuts

Postby SBB » Wed May 29, 2013 9:23 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Why wouldn't you use bog standard jam or pasta jars x 100 and just mark the sides with the mls? Tip 275mls of water in and mark the jar with texta. Tip water into next jar, mark & repeat.

Way to go BB, :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: also a wide mouth jar allows you to "dipper" out a teaspoon full to mix 50/50 with water to open it up a bit for tasting and smelling, just grab a tea spoon with a long handle and bend the handle at 90 degrees to the spoon.
EDIT: your local OP shop has boxes of jars at very reasonable prices 20-50c each.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Canadoz » Wed May 29, 2013 9:37 pm

I got trays of 500ml glass jam jars with lids that wouldn't seal so i tossed them and kept the jars.

Paid $6 for each tray of 6 at the reject shop here in Sydney. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

$2 store may have similar.
Glass is glass right?
Canadoz

equipment: Modified stainless Keggomax CM reflux column, Copper 2" modular pot still with shotgun condenser. 50L Keg boiler w/ 3500W & 2500W elements, Phase angle controller.

Postby db1979 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:42 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Buddy you are about to spend a BUCKET of cash you don't need to. Why wouldn't you use bog standard jam or pasta jars x 100 and just mark the sides with the mls? Tip 275mls of water in and mark the jar with texta. Tip water into next jar, mark & repeat.

:text-+1:
The volume scale on the side of the conical (erlenmeyer) flask (or beakers for that matter) are very very far from accurate so marking the side of zero or low cost jars with a permanent marker is a far better solution.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby Kimbo » Wed May 29, 2013 9:42 pm

Kimbo wrote:They'll do mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby TassieStiller » Wed May 29, 2013 11:13 pm

Probably best to run into Shiploads and get a heap of jam jars like I did. They cost about $1.20 each for 450ml jars :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TassieStiller

equipment: WineGlass designed and manafactured 4 inch, 5 plate reflux column, 6 sight glass
50L boiler with home built auto voltage controller on 3600W Element

Postby jasonc2861 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Another good tip,when you shop,try to slip a few extra goodies that are in jars,like honey,peanut butter,pickles,etc.alot of them come in plastic now,which is a shame.stuff spending big dollars for cuts jars! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby Kimbo » Thu May 30, 2013 1:05 pm

Empty beer stubbies work just as good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby 7evan » Thu May 30, 2013 1:47 pm

G'day lads. Im just getting all the gear together to get into this hobby. I can blame sam_and_liv for that :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Im making a modified Swan and the old man's going the Boka. Have just found a place for glass jars and bottles that look great and are cheap. Pretty sure they are Aus wide too. Try http://www.plasdene.com.au
Hope this helps a few.
7evan

equipment: FSD/COPPER handmade crossbred bubbler!
Itailian Spiral Burner with HP Reg

Postby Camikaze » Thu May 30, 2013 2:42 pm

Kimbo wrote:Empty beer stubbies work just as good :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: Used them heaps. If one breaks, drink another beer.

Now, I use pasta sauce jars. Have dozens of them after I told a few mates to keep theirs for me.

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Next

Return to Beginners Questions