Hello Again

Just starting out and need some advise? then post it in here.

Hello Again

Postby crikko » Wed May 29, 2013 9:31 pm

Hi Guys,

I haven't posted in a while, but i'm still reading the forum as much as possible. I've been doing a lot of research, but haven't been able to get my reflux still made yet. I'm not too sure which design I want to go for, the Bokakob, or another.

One that I've seen a few pictures of, but can't really find any plans as good as the boka, I believe is called an off-set head (I've seen a few different names for similar looking stills) and it has the packed column, then at the top it connects to another column with the condenser inside. I've done up a rough plan of how I 'think' they're done.

Still.jpg

Are there any benefits to going this way rather than a boka? And where on the still would it be open to the atmosphere? And, lastly, would I be better off running only the take off from the angled plate, and a return from below that?

Hopefully I'm not rehashing anything that's been asked before, but I honestly couldn't find anything.

Regards,

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crikko

equipment: Turbo 500 s/s

Re: Hello Again

Postby bt1 » Thu May 30, 2013 8:17 am

Howdy,

boka=simplicity, dam slow but simple and good neutral spirits

offset= complexity, cost, slow, very much a 80's /90's soln.

If your happy to build an offset just do a plated column instead...same costs approx, faster, better results, modular for differing needs

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: Hello Again

Postby Bushy » Thu May 30, 2013 1:09 pm

bt1 wrote:Howdy,

boka=simplicity, dam slow but simple and good neutral spirits

offset= complexity, cost, slow, very much a 80's /90's soln.

If your happy to build an offset just do a plated column instead...same costs approx, faster, better results, modular for differing needs

bt1

:text-+1:
Bushy

equipment: 50l keg boiler with 5Star 3600 watt element
4 inch plated column. 4 perf plates.
Lava Rock Behemoth

Return to Beginners Questions